1st week of no progress

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

1st week of no progress

Post by ksatter26 »

Week one of absolutely no progress.

Replacement CDI somewhere in the great Italty-to-Truman-to-Texas shipping quagmire.

Switch from Oratex no production fiasco to Stewart Systems also delayed with Chris at Oskosh.

No progress expected for at least another 10 days.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: 1st week of no progress

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

It happens. My plan to have my home sold by the end of July isn't going to happen. Too many things out of my control are delaying the renovation. Some things we're just at the mercy of. I'm sure once I get to Florida and get my F5 kit, I'll be experiencing many unexpected delays as well. Hopefully your delays will be over soon.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I can relate, as my project has been stalled for quite some time. I am "filling" the time and attempting to still feel like I am productive by studying my flight training literature and watching online training videos when and where I can. It sucks, but at least you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
ksatter26

2nd full week no progress

Post by ksatter26 »

Another hot week that I did not even enter the shop. No Polini CDI replacement and no covering materials. Stand-still.

I did get a 2"x2" sample of the Oratex 600 Sky Blue from Chris (after my switch to Stewart Systems). The sample is considerably lighter in shade ( almost just off-white) than can be seen in the on-line pictures on the Oratex website. (Also, the actual Fokker Red is somewhat darker than as seen on the website.) Stewart Systems looking better now.

I hope to get back on the project as soon as Chris gets back to his shop after Oshkosh. I also hope to hear more about the new 4-stroke ... new 303 trade-ins?
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Some delays and I don't blame you one bit on staying out of the heat. This is just about the strangest summer I've been through here in Dallas. The only one that was worse (so far) that I recall is when we had over 30 consecutive days of 100+ temps. This heat is certainly a killer of any outside or none AC'd shop project. I even mowed the lawn at 7am to try and save myself from the heat this morning. I was not as successful as I would have liked, but I did survive.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I am also very curious about the new 4 stroke Chris had on the plane. I'd like to know how many flights he's put on it at this point, and how he likes it. I may want to do a swap and ditch the Polini. I think the extra weight of that 4 stroke would serve me well, as my CG is further back than I would like it to be. And I still have some weight allowance to play with.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:03 am I am also very curious about the new 4 stroke Chris had on the plane. I'd like to know how many flights he's put on it at this point, and how he likes it. I may want to do a swap and ditch the Polini. I think the extra weight of that 4 stroke would serve me well, as my CG is further back than I would like it to be. And I still have some weight allowance to play with.
Agreed, even the single cylinder 4 stroke over the boxer F-23 sounds like a better way to go. I wish there could be more horsepower, but then again, what will the SC2 do to improve that? My guess is, being a 4 stroke, an SC2 on it will really improve the power and response of the engine. Plus, add in a good air filter and I bet TBO will also increase.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I wonder what is required on behalf of Smart Carbs to set up a carb specifically for this engine. How many need to be in use before they take notice and are able to provide a tuning chart?

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Scott takes on the task of dialing in a Smart Carb somewhere down the line.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:54 pm Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Scott takes on the task of dialing in a Smart Carb somewhere down the line.
That would be awesome if he did dial in one. Full of benefits for all of us. More rated horsepower for Scott to advertise, the hotest engine on the UL market on the hotest UL for Chris to advertise, and for all of us we get the best UL available. Not a bad deal all around.