3rd week no progress... but

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

3rd week no progress... but

Post by ksatter26 »

Today marks 3weeks of no progress, ... bad CDI, o covering materials, and 100+ temps in the metal building hangar/ shop are the culprits.

BUT ... Chris has informed me that my replacement CDI will arrive in the post on Tuesday. I hope to get the Polini ignition back together in order to finally do an engine start by next weekend.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: 3rd week no progress... but

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:52 pm Today marks 3weeks of no progress, ... bad CDI, o covering materials, and 100+ temps in the metal building hangar/ shop are the culprits.

BUT ... Chris has informed me that my replacement CDI will arrive in the post on Tuesday. I hope to get the Polini ignition back together in order to finally do an engine start by next weekend.
I've been looking at the long term weather predictions for when this heat (100+ degree days) is expected to end. Sadly, that isn't until the 17th of this month.

Our longest day was June 21st and equinox isn't until September 23rd. So, while the days are growing shorter, the sun will not pass over the equator to the southern hemisphere until the equinox. We won't get much cooling until then, and of course it'll be slow as it normally is.

Good to hear the CDI replacement is on its way. Getting that engine running will be a nice check off on the to-do list. Even with the delays, it looks like you'll be ready for flight testing come fall and winter, which will be in a much more enjoyable temperature range.

Looking forward to hearing good news about the engine testing. Also good to hear from you.

Todd
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I picked up my F3 in Truman on September 22, 2021. I was working towards a milestone of 1 year completion date. It seems certain i won't make that goal.

Winter was harder on the project schedule ( cold seems to bother me more than the heat). My 10K BTU butane shop heater helped get me back on schedule. I do have a big pedestal fan that works well in the shop with the garage door open.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

ksatter26 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:32 am I picked up my F3 in Truman on September 22, 2021. I was working towards a milestone of 1 year completion date. It seems certain i won't make that goal.

Winter was harder on the project schedule ( cold seems to bother me more than the heat). My 10K BTU butane shop heater helped get me back on schedule. I do have a big pedestal fan that works well in the shop with the garage door open.
I can handle the cold better than the heat. I have a propane force air heater in my garage. As long as I can give it 10 to 15 minutes to pull the chill off, then I'm pretty good to go. Heat on the other hand puts me down pretty fast. I tend to overheat a lot, come in the house to rest, and fall asleep (recovery) several times each day when I'm working hard on projects. I have a 32" fan for the summer, but blowing hot air is even worse than no moving air, or almost. I've been trying to get in touch with Chris to see what's needed to get my kit into production. I called before Oshkosh and figured I wouldn't hear from him until after. Then gave him a call yesterday. Funny, the phone rang, someone answered, and I could hear him and possibly his wife in the background talking, but no one answered when I repeated "Hello" a few times. I hung up and called back, going to voicemail. I think you mentioned he's still traveling, so maybe that was the issue. I'm going to try and talk to him later this week. Right now I have contractors in my house working on the remodel of my bathroom. Another fun(?) project.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Todd, much like you, I can't function in the heat when it comes to work, at least not for long. I don't mind the heat otherwise, and am more comfortable in it than in the cold...until I need to do something overly physical. then I have to tap out. haha

Hopefully you hear back soon. It sounds like you are getting much closer to being able to formulate a build plan. it would be nice to have a kit in hand once that time comes!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:55 pm Todd, much like you, I can't function in the heat when it comes to work, at least not for long. I don't mind the heat otherwise, and am more comfortable in it than in the cold...until I need to do something overly physical. then I have to tap out. haha

Hopefully you hear back soon. It sounds like you are getting much closer to being able to formulate a build plan. it would be nice to have a kit in hand once that time comes!
I get too much sweat pouring down my face, I can't see what I'm doing. Give me cold!

Yes. I'll give Chris another call and get this thing going. As Kurt has mentioned, I'd like to have my plane for as long as I can before having to hang up flying for good.