Polini Strikes Again!

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Polini Strikes Again!

Post by ksatter26 »

23 days with no progress awaiting the replacement Polini 303 CDI. It arrived via USPS (trans-shipped from Chris) this afternoon. Unpacking I find that it does not match the one I sent to Chris for replacement. Recall how much trouble I had removing the CDI from the engine. What I sent to Chris had the wire harness implanted in the CDI (no connectors, hence all the trouble removing it from the engine). The "replacement" is JUST the CDI box with 2 plug connectors (a 2 prong and a 4 prong) and NO harnesses. Engine connecting wires have no plug connectors.

I sent a txt and picture to Chris. He's traveling, but sent a text saying he'd check, but MAYBE the harnesses are shipped separately. I somehow doubt it. I best I figure another 3 weeks of waiting. Maybe I'll get the Stewart covering materials and can do some of that work.

My 1 year for kit pick-up goal is totally shot.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Polini Strikes Again!

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I would see if there is anyone at Polini you can reach out to to see if the harness will be delivered separately. If not, perhaps they can provide a schematic to connect the new CDI to the older wiring.

Another option might be to contact Southwest Airsports to see if they have an information. They seem to have more information regarding the Polini engines than Polini does. Their website covers a lot of ground for all of the Polini products from what I've seen.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

All ofmy contact with Polini is thru Chris. He is the Polini Distributor for my engine as part of the total F3 purchase package. I had to send the CDI to him to have it "certified" as "bad" so that he was authorized to have a "replacement" shipped to him from Italy and thence to me (3 weeks).

I was required to provide the engine serial number with the return. I assumed that Polini would check which CDI version was installed and return a corresponding part. No part number on either CDI, but my replacement, sans harnesses, came in a Polini Parts box marked with Polini Special Parts Number: 928.600.013.

I will undoubtedly have to contact Aerosports for help in reinstalling the replacement as is typical with Polini, there is no documentation.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:37 am All ofmy contact with Polini is thru Chris. He is the Polini Distributor for my engine as part of the total F3 purchase package. I had to send the CDI to him to have it "certified" as "bad" so that he was authorized to have a "replacement" shipped to him from Italy and thence to me (3 weeks).

I was required to provide the engine serial number with the return. I assumed that Polini would check which CDI version was installed and return a corresponding part. No part number on either CDI, but my replacement, sans harnesses, came in a Polini Parts box marked with Polini Special Parts Number: 928.600.013.

I will undoubtedly have to contact Aerosports for help in reinstalling the replacement as is typical with Polini, there is no documentation.
Very unfortunate that Polini acts the way they do. This isn't the first time I've heard of this. While some bashing from some on YouTube seems a bit un-just, there also seems to be many reasons to bash Polini service. You can't build a really nice engine and treat your customers poorly. That's a simple way for someone else to move in and take away your business. I had mentioned a few days ago there's a really good chance for me to switch from the Hirth F23 to the Thump-Air. I'm still not fully convinced on the change. Some of that is because of comments Mountain Cat has made concerning the good experience he's had with Hirth, as well as the good experience I've had communicating with them and the US distributor....and I don't even own one yet(?) When asked for detailed engine documentation, they both provided more information than I would ever need. The documentation is excellent. Some have said that the F23 doesn't do the 1000 hour TBO claimed, but many others refute that. The only other bad thing I've heard, and several of these type of comments is that the electronic ignition module has a tendency to fail. However, I've read maybe 4 reports of this issue, so, how many of their engines are on ultralights? I think the ratio of failure would be very low based on a guess of how many are flying without a problem. Before I choose a power plant to put under the cowl I need to speak with Chris and Scott more about the Thump Air. I can't make an educated choice until I have more info. So sorry to hear though that Polini didn't at least include the wiring harness as part of the replacement. I'd think that the cost to do so would easily outweigh the frustration of getting a replacement part that can't at this time be used. Even a small pigtail so you could run your own wires would have been common sense. I doubt that Chris was required to return the failed CDI, so Polini may not have figured that the wiring harness was needed. Who knows? I hope one can be sent to you quickly. I hear your frustration.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I had good performance in my MiniMAX 1103R with the F33 Hirth. I had a little trouble running the throttle cable into the disk in the throttle throat, but after that the electric start worked flawlessly. If the F33 is anything like the F33, I think it would be a good fit. I do wonder about the cowling might be light with the configuration of the engine. Possibly mount it upside-down?

I seem to be stuck with my 303 and will have to make it work. Not looking forward to installing the "replacement" CDI and plug-type harnesses without any documentation. There are A LOT of wires just hanging free firewall forward and the harness seems to only account for 6 wires.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:20 pm I had good performance in my MiniMAX 1103R with the F33 Hirth. I had a little trouble running the throttle cable into the disk in the throttle throat, but after that the electric start worked flawlessly. If the F33 is anything like the F33, I think it would be a good fit. I do wonder about the cowling might be light with the configuration of the engine. Possibly mount it upside-down?

I seem to be stuck with my 303 and will have to make it work. Not looking forward to installing the "replacement" CDI and plug-type harnesses without any documentation. There are A LOT of wires just hanging free firewall forward and the harness seems to only account for 6 wires.
I do love the boxer style engine of the F23. There are a few videos on YT with the F23 is the power plant. I love the sound of it compared to many other two-stroke engines. The RPM is much lower, and it almost sounds like a four stroke. Having the 303 isn't a bad thing. It's just going to be a bit more work with Polini.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Kurt, Southwest AIrsports has the electrical diagram for the 303, and lists wiring for the "new voltage regulator". It might be of some help?

https://www.southwestairsports.com/ppgt ... ematic.pdf