4th week - no progress

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

4th week - no progress

Post by ksatter26 »

I did receive a replacement CDI from Polini via Chris. It does NOT match what I pulled off of the 303. Checking the parts breakdown in the extremely poor Polini documentation, it IS the proper replacement part. However, The CDI on my engine (factory new in shipping crate at kit pickup last year) had an embedded set of connecting wire harnesses coming directly out of the CDI box. The replacement has two nylon plug connectors (1 two prong and a 4 prong). NO harness(es) included. Checking the parts breakdown, it appears that there IS a part number for the harness(es) but Polini did not include them.

Chris said that he would wire up one, but after several hours communicating with him we find that there is NO pin-out diagram for the CDI. He's been waiting for days to hear back from Polini ... evidently they are on the typical many-week summer vacation shut-down over in Europe.

I got no response from the Facebook 303 Group on the pin-out request, nor have I heard back from either Southwest Airsports (in Oklahoma) or from Leon at Polini Parts USA (in Ohio) on the pin-out documentation.

Still twiddling my thumbs rather than working on the project. I have not so much as entered the shop in a couple of weeks. Very Frustrated.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: 4th week - no progress

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I can understand your frustration. Especially with the lack of support or documentation for the Polini. I have to say it's pretty disappointing. Of course the six week European siesta doesn't exactly help, does it?

Any other projects you can work on in the meantime? And is the weather at least cooperating for now?
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:28 pm I did receive a replacement CDI from Polini via Chris. It does NOT match what I pulled off of the 303. Checking the parts breakdown in the extremely poor Polini documentation, it IS the proper replacement part. However, The CDI on my engine (factory new in shipping crate at kit pickup last year) had an embedded set of connecting wire harnesses coming directly out of the CDI box. The replacement has two nylon plug connectors (1 two prong and a 4 prong). NO harness(es) included. Checking the parts breakdown, it appears that there IS a part number for the harness(es) but Polini did not include them.

Chris said that he would wire up one, but after several hours communicating with him we find that there is NO pin-out diagram for the CDI. He's been waiting for days to hear back from Polini ... evidently they are on the typical many-week summer vacation shut-down over in Europe.

I got no response from the Facebook 303 Group on the pin-out request, nor have I heard back from either Southwest Airsports (in Oklahoma) or from Leon at Polini Parts USA (in Ohio) on the pin-out documentation.

Still twiddling my thumbs rather than working on the project. I have not so much as entered the shop in a couple of weeks. Very Frustrated.
Kurt, you mentioned the four prong and two prong plug on the CDI. I ran across this the other day, but wasn't sure if this was what you were looking for. It still may not be, but it may help.

https://poliniparts.com/polini-thor-303/

Scroll down to the third page. The CID is displayed, with wire color and one four and one two prong connectors.

I see you've been posting on the Polini Thor 303 Owner FB group. I'm really surprised at how many have posted issues with their CDI. These are the things that lean me towards Scott's Thump-Air 4 stroke.

Todd
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

I agree with the lack of thrill for the Polini documentation. Looking at the Polini-Thor-303-Manual.pdf, specifically the English part of it, the translation is poor in many places, and non-existant on page 14, section 5, which is still completely in Italian.

4- RUNNING IN
Run your engine in as instructed below to ensure that the engine and
transmission bed in correctly and to ensure continuous reliability in
future. Once the engine starts, leave it idling until it warms up to normal
temperature. We suggest running the engine 15 minutes at medium-low
engine power output gently accelerating and with different intensity.
Now we suggest checking the correct idling calibration.
During the first flights or for the first 20 litres of petrol we suggest not
keeping the engine at the maximum rpm for too much time, considering
that the 2-stroke engine doesn’t stand to the constant rpm even if of
medium power. We suggest varying the engine rpm. Check the carburetion
after the first flight. Repeat the running in every time you change
one of the following parts: piston, piston rings, cylinder, crankshaft or
main bearings.

5- ENGINE SWITCHING OFF

Per spegnere il motore azionare l’apposito pulsante fino a completo
spegnimento.
Se il motore è equipaggiato con il comando acceleratore Polini il tasto
di spegnimento è di colore rosso ed è situato nella zona superiore; in
caso contrario fare riferimento alle istruzioni del costruttore del telaio/
acceleratore per l’individuazione del pulsante di spegnimento.
Per il THOR 303 DUAL SPARK azionare la leva della consolle di comando
in posizione OFF per disattivare entrambe le accensioni contemporaneamente e spegnere il motore.

6- CARBURETION CHECK
The carburetion setting must be executed by professional people only.
It is possible to make a fast analysis of the carburetion by checking the
spark plug colour. To do it, switch the engine off after having run it for
some second under charge.

Kind of a shame for Polini to have such a technological advanced engine, but not spending a little more time on cleaning up their documentation. Now maybe a newer version is corrected. This one is from 2021. However, releasing something like this isn't a good reflection upon the company.

Source: https://aviatorppg.com/wp-content/uploa ... Manual.pdf
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

The wires are somewhat color coded and that diagram (l have about a dozen copies) says where they go on the engine, but the CDI end has the 2 nylon connectors and the pins are not referenced anywhere. We can reason out the 2 pin plug but which engine wire goes on each if the 4 remaining pins. It seems to be a mystery. The diagram would work for the dud original CDI with the wires embedded. Very frustrating.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

ksatter26 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:57 pm The wires are somewhat color coded and that diagram (l have about a dozen copies) says where they go on the engine, but the CDI end has the 2 nylon connectors and the pins are not referenced anywhere. We can reason out the 2 pin plug but which engine wire goes on each if the 4 remaining pins. It seems to be a mystery. The diagram would work for the dud original CDI with the wires embedded. Very frustrating.
I wonder if some of these super technology engine builders have forgotten rule one of airplanes – keep it simple. I had mentioned that one of the greater complaints about the Hirth F23 is with the CDI. How about something simple guys – develop a miniature dual magneto ignition? Get rid of the CDI altogether.