Switching to Stewart System Covering

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Switching to Stewart System Covering

Post by ksatter26 »

With the news from the Oratex folks ( via the Fscebook BetterAircrsftFabric group) that they have no Orartex 600 production planned for the forseeable future, i have asked Chris to switch my order to Stewart Systems.

It is cheaper and I have dacron covering experience to help. The plan is to use exterior urethane paint to finish the project.

Further news is that Chris says Polini has shipped my replacement CDI from Italy to Trumsn and he will get it off to me as soon as it arrives.

Little can be done on the project until the shipments get to me here in North Texas, so I'm on hiatus until then.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Switching to Stewart System Covering

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Has Oratex discontinued ALL production of the 600 or just certain colors?
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

The BetterAircraftFabric post was in response to my specific question about Fokker Red. However, it was vague enough that it could be interpreted as all 600.

I have no specific info on the availability of the Sky Blue either.

You can check responses via the Facebook BetterAircraftFabric Group.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Kurt, how much is the switch to Stewart Systems from Oratex going to affect your final weight? Or is that no longer an issue for you?
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

The switch will probably not be an issue,but my backup plan is to add a balistc parachute if needs be.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Not a bad plan at all. Looking forward to hearing how it goes and seeing the final results.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Kurt, have you checked with Janina@BetterAircraftFabric.com

Janina is the sales manager at Better Aircraft Fabric and may be able to help with information about when Oratex 600 will be available.

Todd
ksatter26

Checked with the Oratex folks

Post by ksatter26 »

I checked with the Oratex folks weeks ago and was told no Fokker Red production "for the forseeable future".

Chris said he would check at Oshkosh to try and "snag enough for my project." No response.

I finally got my sample of the sky blue and it is almost creamy white ( too light) and the Corsair Blue is much too dark for my preference.

I've covered with dacron on my MiniMAX so the Stewart System will work for me.

Still awaiting my Polini CDI and info on Stewart materials and costs. Looks to me to be 35 yds of 71" cloth and a couple of quarts of both EcoBond and EcoFill.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Interesting, because I checked with Janina, and she said all colors are available and was ready to write up an order for me with a lead time of 2 to 3 weeks. She included the color pallet that they have available in production at the current time.

-------- Original Message --------
On Aug 28, 2023, 1:43 PM, janina betteraircraftfabric.com < janina@betteraircraftfabric.com> wrote:

Hi Todd,

We have no availability issues. Oratex6000 is available in all 13 colors, and OratexUL600 is available in all 16 colors. Our regular lead time is 2-3 weeks. I can send you a customized quote, just need to know which airplane type you are going to build & cover.

Best regards
Janina Teschner, Sales manager

BetterAircraftFabric
4621 Caravelle Drive
Anchorage, AK 99502
(907) 227-1913 (direct)
www.betteraircraftfabric.com
Screenshot 2023-08-28 10.09.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-28 10.10.22 PM.png
She also followed up when I told her that my plane will be a Badland, stating that she will work with Chris Deuel (she knows him) on the proper amount of fabric needed for my F5. I'm not sure who you may have spoken to, but it seems the fabric is now available if you still wish to use it. At least with it, you don't have to dope and paint the fabric – though that would allow custom color. As you have mentioned prior in this thread, the blues didn't fit your needs.

Todd
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

This is getting surreal. I should have saved the e-mail.

Chris himself told me that Better Aircraft said no Fokker Red was available. I e-mailed them and got the "forseeable future" response back. That's when Chris was preparing to go to Oshkosh and said he would try to "snag enough" of the light-weight Fokker Red for my needs.

At the same time Chris finally got samples of the Fokker Red and Sky Blue to me. The Sky Blue sample that I received is considerably more cream white colored than the blue pictured on the Oratex website, so I ruled it out. The only other blue is the Corsair Blue which is a very deep blue.

I'd still prefer to go with the Oratex as I'm a lousy painter. However, I'm in a real quandary now about availability and colors.

I will call Better Aircraft and verify as well as ask for new samples.
Hopefully the Sky Blue is really closer to the pictures.

Polini should be back from shutdown in a few days and we can finally get the 303 CDI problem resolved.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

It is sort of crazy for sure. It's very possible that Oratex was out of materials to make the fabric and were being told by their supplier "unknown delivery date", putting them into similar quagmire of trying to provide an unknown production run.

Add in the fun of European nations (strange to us) month long and many more holidays. That makes predictions for products extremely difficult to determine. They appear to be back into production. Wondering if that all could have happened around AirVenture? With attending the show, they may have received so many orders that a major production run was called for and they received the materials they needed to start production?

I really like the Corsair Blue, and wondering if the blue Chris got was a second. I know from past experiences with Oratex that they offer their "blemished" or "seconds" of fabric that does not meet color standard at a discount. I'm thinking they may have handed a piece like that to Chris to give to you. They maybe were thinking you wanted to see the strength of the material,where you were really looking at the color?

Though Oratex is expensive, the material appears to have an excellent lifetime and I see the advantage of not having to paint the material as a big advantage. When you mentioned no production for the foreseeable future, and then Chris set a delivery date of December for my Badland, that sort of scared me as to what am I going to do!

That's when I emailed Janina to ask, what's up with this?

Give Janina a call. Her direct number is listed below. Please let us know what information she can provide.

If that all works out, and you get the correct part from Pollini you'll be back on track. Plus, it's finally cooling down!

This was the first morning in a very long time I didn't turn I to a wet rag while working in the garage. I'm building new countertops for my kitchen and master bath. The heat was killing me as well as making it impossible to paint the MDF board.

Good luck with continuing your Badland project. I hope Janina is able to take care of your needs. By the way, I can't paint worth a darn either.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I actually purchased the "blemished" (Cub Yellow) fabric from Better Aircraft Fabric because I liked the discount. The fabric is expensive, so every little bit helps. In my case the blemish was a bit of color fading at the edge of the roll, which I was able to work around for the most part. While being pretty noticeable on the roll, it was less noticeable on the Badland once applied. You can see a bit of faded yellow on the leading edge of my wings, but the fabric isn't compromised in any way in terms of strength or durability. I am quite satisfied with it.
ksatter26

Back to Oratex

Post by ksatter26 »

I heard from the folks in Alaska and production problems have been resolved. They also assure me that the Sky Blue is definitely as blue as shown on the website.

I sent them a pix of my color scheme and she said she'd workup a list of materials and cost for the coverage.

I informed Chris. So, we're looking forward to Polini making good on my CDI problems to hopefully finish the bird on the next couple of months.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Back to Oratex

ksatter26 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:58 pm I heard from the folks in Alaska and production problems have been resolved. They also assure me that the Sky Blue is definitely as blue as shown on the website.

I sent them a pix of my color scheme and she said she'd workup a list of materials and cost for the coverage.

I informed Chris. So, we're looking forward to Polini making good on my CDI problems to hopefully finish the bird on the next couple of months.
Well awesome, a double win with a bonus on the Sky Blue color issue. Now keeping fingers crossed on Polini getting this the correct CDI to you. Having this all wrap up over the next couple of months will put you in nice cool weather for testing and eventual flight!

Todd