Ign troubles

This forum contains builder discussion topics. These are topics where members can post messages to the builders. These topics will stay at the top of the Badland Builds forum topics for easy access.

Members are encouraged to subscribe to builders they wish to follow. To subscribe, go into the Badlands Builds forum, scroll down to Topics. Select the topic of the builder you wish to follow. Click on the wrench at the top of the message (right next to the Post Reply). Click on the Subscribe Topic. From then on an email notice will be sent when a post is made in that builder's discussion log topic. Builders are encouraged to subscribe to their own discussion topic so they will be notified when someone leaves a post for them.

At the very top of the Badlands Builds forum are the builders sub-forums. Builders are the only ones allowed to post in their own sub-forum (remember this is a log for them and others to follow, not a discussion area) - that's what the builder discussion topics are for.

Builders - submit a request using the comment, private message, or email to request a builder sub-forum. If we become aware of a build, in most cases we'll automatically create a builders log for the builder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Mountain Cat

Ign troubles

Post by Mountain Cat »

Sounds like there may be some wires mis-connected. The thing about the 303DS is that it is a plug and play system. On the one I sold Peer, I just plugged everything together and connected the Battery and it fired right up. Of course after connecting all the plumbing. I ran thru all the testing on the start console to verify it all worked. The 303DS is a neat package all rolled together. That is if everything is correct.
ksatter26

Re: Ign troubles

Post by ksatter26 »

I ordered the single ignition Polini based on my experience with the Hirth in my MiniMAX 1103R. In hindsight, I should have sprung for the DS.

IF I could unload my single 303, I would , as a minimum, replace it with a DS.

I have great interest in the Thumpair 4-stroke but can get no info on availability or lead-time.

I'm close to finishing the F-3. Except for the ignition problems, I am awaiting my Oratex materials... probably within 2-3 weeks,in order to finish. Hopefully the engine will be running by then.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Allen is right - the DS is "plug and play". I've cranked it and checked for spark, and all good there. I didn't even bother to ground it to anything else on the plane, since the unit is "self contained".

Kurt, what was the wiring like for the single ignition out of the box? I would have thought it would be the same, and have some form if ignition switch.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

The 303 I received from Polini thru Chris ( new, in-the-crate from Italy) seemed to be plagued from the outset. Incorrect rubber mounts, incorrect mount ring ( twice), a prop hub nut that was incompletely machined, and not enough and incorrect size hose clamps.

I'm beginning to believe that my single ignition 303 was put together from scraps and extras on the Polini shop floor.

Of course later we also found ( painfully) that the CDI was also bad. The "wiring harnesses" were wrapped in about 3 feet of electrical tape that had to be remove to get to a couple of bayonet connectors in order to remove the defective CDI for return to Polini for replacement.

I spoke with London Ivy in Tampa this morning. I was referred to him as the 303 Guru. He was traveling, but we were able to determine that my problems with the ignition system re-install can probably be fixed. He said he'd give me a call later this evening and talk me through the connections.

I did learn a couple of things that I can pass along to all 303 users, single and dual.

(1) while a separate grounding wire from the battery negative post to the Polini case (I use the cylinder head bolt) is not required, it is highly recommended.

(2) you can definitely use a push-button, motorcycle starter switch.

Will keep everyone posted on the status.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Good to know regarding the extra ground for the battery. I'll have to add that next time I am in the garage. Thanks for the tips!
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Extra grounds do not hurt anything. Maybe an ounce here and there.