Oratex ... After the 1st cut ...

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Oratex ... After the 1st cut ...

Post by ksatter26 »

My 1st project was an all-wood Fly Baby (now residing somewhere in Lake Pontchatrain or the Gulf thanks to Hurricane Katrina). The wing covering was 2.7 oz Dacron fabric (commonly known back then as Nurse's Uniform Cloth). As I remember it was about $3/yard and I had the same misgivings about making the 1st cut on that bolt of cloth as I had with the considerably more expensive Oratex for this project. However I bit the billet and cut out the material for the bottom of the airframe.

IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG

I hope the good weather continues so I can layout the glue lines and apply the hot-melt glue.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Oratex ... After the 1st cut ...

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

You had mentioned that you bought extra fabric (inadvertently), right? I did the same, and ended up using it to my advantage. I left pretty wide overlaps so I had enough at the edges to pull it taut while gluing it down. Something to consider.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Good point. I also always round up.

I checked the temperatures on my 2 level cheapie Harbor Freight heat gun. Really inconsistent on both setting which is really just high and low fan speeds. So I again bit the bullet and ordered a nice Sentinel HL 2020 E. It should be here Monday along with my Polini 303.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I bought a Wagner heat gun with digital temp display, and adjustable in ten degree increments. It worked really well. I think I paid maybe $60 on Amazon.