Engine re-mounted

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Engine re-mounted

Post by ksatter26 »

Well, almost. I still have a few connections to hook-up and cables/hoses to route/connect.

Once mounted, i don't think many builders will remove the engine. It is much easier to reach the mounting hardware (on either side of the firewall) without the fuselage being covered. Thus is especially true for the lower two AN4 engine mount bolts. It's a very tight fit to reach the nuts situated down amongst all the rudder and brake pedals tubing. I'm going to have to remove a portion of the cockpit floor panel to fish out a couple of errant washers and nuts.

HINT: Long needle-nosed pliers to slip on the washers and tape the AN4 nut into the wrench ... frees up one hand ... only took 3 tries.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Engine re-mounted

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Would using a magnet on the opposite side and sliding it to where fingers can grab the parts that escaped during install?
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I used a magnet on a stick. It took some doing but worked. I also ran the bolt through from the inside and fastened the nuts on the engine side.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Nut on the engine side is "acceptable" but not "preferred" practice per the EAA Designee back in Houston Chspter 12.