Covering Material Over Fixtures/Brackets?????

This forum contains builder discussion topics. These are topics where members can post messages to the builders. These topics will stay at the top of the Badland Builds forum topics for easy access.

Members are encouraged to subscribe to builders they wish to follow. To subscribe, go into the Badlands Builds forum, scroll down to Topics. Select the topic of the builder you wish to follow. Click on the wrench at the top of the message (right next to the Post Reply). Click on the Subscribe Topic. From then on an email notice will be sent when a post is made in that builder's discussion log topic. Builders are encouraged to subscribe to their own discussion topic so they will be notified when someone leaves a post for them.

At the very top of the Badlands Builds forum are the builders sub-forums. Builders are the only ones allowed to post in their own sub-forum (remember this is a log for them and others to follow, not a discussion area) - that's what the builder discussion topics are for.

Builders - submit a request using the comment, private message, or email to request a builder sub-forum. If we become aware of a build, in most cases we'll automatically create a builders log for the builder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Bruce_L

Covering Material Over Fixtures/Brackets?????

Post by Bruce_L »

How do you go about applying the covering over items like flaperon cable brackets or the large lift strut brackets riveted to the tubular aluminum spars? I have seen some covering jobs where the covering is placed over/on top of the brackets or mounts. You can see all the bulges and rivets protruding through the surface of the finished covering. It looks rather sloppy. I plan on painting my lift strut brackets to match my fuselage (white) and want to see those after the covering is applied. This will also allow for future inspections in what I consider to be a critical inspection location.

Can I apply a small area of covering to the area before I rivet on the strut brackets, that extends about 1 - 2 inches outside the perimeter of the brackets outline? Then when I apply the actual wing skin covering I can have a slot pre-cut in that large covering piece that overlaps the small amount of covering material I put down under the bracket first. Then glue-iron down the pieces to make an effective splice where the two layers meet.

Is this overkill?

My concern is that I want to be able to adjust the lift strut brackets while dialing in dihedral, sweep, and testing the folding mechanism. I want to do all the testing and adjustments before I commit to covering.

I have never done this before so I want to think about these things before I start wasting expensive covering materials or drilling out incorrect rivets.

I appreciate everybody's opinion and experience here !!!!
Mountain Cat

Re: Covering Material Over Fixtures/Brackets?????

Post by Mountain Cat »

Standard procedure is for a bracket (etc) that is 1" or less sticking up. Cover the bracket and after shrinking cut a slit for the bracket and re-shrink. Then install a enforcing patch over the protruding item. Anything over 1", is split before shrinking and then install the reinforcing patch. Oratex may have a different way they recommend. It should be in their manual, if not contact them.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hi Bruce - for the brackets on the wing spars I installed the brackets first, then cut slots in the fabric and applied it over the brackets. I trimmed the excess material to leave the actual mounting points exposed, then cut doublers of fabric to reinforce the edges. I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking, but I just want to add that you want no material between the bracket and the mounting surface. This will weaken the bond (Keep in mind that these joints also call for structural adhesive). I hope this helps somewhat!

-Peer
Bruce_L

Post by Bruce_L »

Yeah, I totally spaced on the adhesive being part of the situation at that location. My wings would have fallen off at 10,000 feet on that note.

Oops or is that Ouch.... :o
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Bruce_L wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:23 pm Oops or is that Ouch.... :o
Depends if your emergency chute opens or not! 😅

P.S. I'm learning a lot. Please keep asking. Your questions are excellent and on many things I've not even considered!
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I'm sure you would have figured it out once you got to the actually mounting of the brackets. haha