Ultralight Flight Information

Searching for that specific fix, modification, or other information that you once read in one of the forums? It might be here. When the admins find information that is useful but sometimes gets lost in other forums, we'll move it here to easily find it. So think of this as anything outside of general discussion.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Ultralight Flight Information

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

I was searching around and found the following article. I thought it was interesting and provides a lot of good information, especially for the beginner or newbie to Ultralights. Though I don't agree with all comments by the author (some somewhat negative), the overall article in my opinion is pretty good. I've included the link below as well as the complete article (Zipped PDF) in case the link someday no longer works.

https://hangar.flights/ultralights/can- ... e-country/
Attachments
Ultralight Flight.zip
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Ultralight Flight Information

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

It's kind of odd in that the article does seem to have a negative tone through a lot of it, up until the conclusion, where the author seems to do an about-face.

Still an entertaining read, albeit a bit redundant regarding the range (I thought).
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:35 am It's kind of odd in that the article does seem to have a negative tone through a lot of it, up until the conclusion, where the author seems to do an about-face.

Still an entertaining read, albeit a bit redundant regarding the range (I thought).
Agreed, it was sort of strange that he didn't seem to be able to decide if he was going to slam UL's or promote them. It was almost like in some places he was saying "these are stupid" and then in other parts, yes, you can do a large cross-country with proper planning. I still like the article because he touches on many areas of UL's, but with removing the negative snarks, he could have had a much more interesting and even powerful article. The part that caught my eye was that it was written last spring, where most articles we find are from the early 2000's and before - way out dated.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Oh, I didn't catch the date on it. Interesting. Still a lot of good points in the article, but you're right...it could have used less snark.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I read the article and found it pretty much on point. A few little missteps but things a UL pilot will know anyhow. For someone like myself, a X-country in a UL would be a blast. I learned with a map, compass and watch. Now days with the cheaper GPS's its a lot easier. The easiest plan is to fly till you need fuel, land, fuel up, then repeat. A little more involved but not much. When you have time, look up Arty Trost on YT and watch what she has done.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:50 pm I read the article and found it pretty much on point. A few little missteps but things a UL pilot will know anyhow. For someone like myself, a X-country in a UL would be a blast. I learned with a map, compass and watch. Now days with the cheaper GPS's its a lot easier. The easiest plan is to fly till you need fuel, land, fuel up, then repeat. A little more involved but not much. When you have time, look up Arty Trost on YT and watch what she has done.
Exactly what I'm looking for, some long distance cross country flights. Plus with UL's like the Merlin Lite that can go 220nm, 'that's not a bad hop, and doing a couple or few a day would get you more distance than most UL's ever do. I'll check out Arty Trost. Thanks.

Todd