Chasing a dream

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

mrpilotron

Chasing a dream

Post by mrpilotron »

Hello all. I am probably a bit different than many of the Part 103 chasers since I have a "real" pilot license and a current Class 2 medical with no immediate fear of losing it. I am active with flying in Cessna 172, Cessna 182, and an Aeronca Champ. I have dreamed of building my own EAB or ELSA experimental plane for years and narrowing down the right one has been a challenge. My favorite plane always seems to be the last one I looked at!

After a lot of back-and-forth about what I really want to do with an airplane, I realized that there is never going to be 1 airplane that does everything. I like to go low and slow enjoying the ride. The Champ is nice for that since it is quite comfortable at 500 AGL and 80 to 90 MPH cruise. I also like to take cross-country trips with my wife. She hates to go low and slow and doesn't want to be in a plane unless it's getting her to a destination as quick as possible and hauling 5x more stuff than she really needed to bring so the Cessna 182 is her favorite. Unfortunately, it's also a bit on the expensive side when that rental bill hits. The Champ is really cheap to fly, but she won't get in it unless we're just making a 20 minute fly to breakfast type of trip. Owning an RV-9A would be a great choice for her, but we would realistically only do those trips that justify it 1 or 2 times per year. I can rent the Cessna 182 twice per year with a lot of money left over for what owning an RV-9A would cost. Hangar rent alone will pay for at least 1 of those trips and insurance will easily cover the rest so I find myself looking for a very simple and economical way to drill holes in the sky by myself. I don't need 2 seats to do that so I started looking at single-seat options..

There are just a few simple (but heavy) things that I don't want to fly without. I like having an ADS-B transponder, I like having the radio built into the dash, I like having a cabin heater, I like not worrying about cruising a bit too fast, and I like carrying significantly more fuel than I plan on burning. Since I was already planning to build an EAB plane that follows all the FAA rules, I may be the first person to intentionally build a "heavy" Badland plane and put an N number on the tail rather than hoping nobody notices the rule fudging that some may get away with. This opens a few more engine options and removes all the airspace restrictions that legal 103 ultralights have to play by and I can still land just about anywhere.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Chasing a dream

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Welcome to the Badland103Forum!

I think you’re going to be pleasantly surprised as just how many ultralight pilots have or have at one time held a GA certificates and held their medicals. I was on the edge of testing when life intervened and I never finished, but still had the desire to fly. I fully understand the narrowing down too. My original love is the Velocity canard airplane. I love the design of canards. That never came to be, so here I am, looking at ultralights and particularly the Badland F5 Fujita. I figure that’s about at close to a KitFox as I’m going to get – and also, the last plane I looked at.

You’re so right about never being able to find the plane that’s going to do it all and fill all needs. I’m with you also on the low and slow as well as get me there like yesterday. I guess we need a sweep wing tail dragger? I’ve sort of settled on the low and slow because even tough it’ll not get me to my destination fast, I have the ability to set down anywhere I want with ease. Plus, heading into retirement next year, I will be in no rush to get anywhere.

The rental as well as just getting a CFI that’s not going to cause me to go broke getting my training. That’s not to say I won’t be going back for training, even for an ultralight. I don’t need to retire and end up dead because my ego convinced me that “I can do this without training”.

I also love the idea of folding those wings, loading on the trailer and taking her home instead of in hanger storage. The cost of hanger storage along with the problem of out of sight out of mind (not flying as often as I could/should/would) just seems to make having a plane a waste of money. I have my RV travel trailer here at my house. I now I would use it a lot less if it was in some storage facility.

I hear you on your concerns about ultralight FAA limitations – I have the same. I will have an ADS-B (actually already have it), but it’s only ADS-B in, not out. Would like the out, but expense and I’m not sure what the regulations are on broadcast, compared to just receive which is not an issue. As for the audio radio, I’ve been an amateur radio operator since the early 90’s, so using an HT (Handy Talkie) isn’t an issue for me. Yes it would be nice to have an in dash mobile unit, but I can live without that. It’s not the radio of course, but the weight issue that’s a problem for me within the ultralight rules. I will have cabin heat for sure. It’s funny, putting on a jacket and heavy clothing to keep warm is going to weigh almost as much as ducting for cabin heat (using forced airflow through a heat exchanger instead of a fan). For everything else of course as you’ve stated, registering as an experimental you’ll be golden. Plus you get to keep your current flying certification. Win Win!

I’m sure Chris (owner of Badland Aircraft) would love to see one of his planes go experimental with a N tail number.
mrpilotron

Post by mrpilotron »

When I asked Chris about it, he said the grand total of N-numbered airplanes is roughly zero. I'd be the first. One thing I would like to do different than all the others is build my own wings from scratch. I have a CNC router that can cut out the wing ribs and I would prefer to have the exact Riblett airfoil rather than the modified one that Chris is using. His change is great for keeping the stall speed really low, but I can afford to have the stall speed a few knots higher and the lowered drag can easily allow a cruise speed closer to 80. This requires some additional structure within the spar to support the forces, which also adds a bit more weight. The "more needs more" challenge of engineering can end up in a vicious cycle that eventually results in a completely different aircraft so I'll be careful to only make very small adjustments. If I wanted to cruise at 160, I'd build a Sonex instead.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Exactly, add in the few fees to go registered and it's a done deal. Chris advertises to build to anyone's needs and specifications so I'm sure he can leave the wings off and let you build your own. I've got a lot to learn about wing design so I'm way out of my comfort zone on that, even discussing it. Pretty cool that you can build your own. However I do know about the vicious circle of trying to add a new feature with as little negative effect in other areas that negate the new features benefits. I agree on the Sonex too. Nice plane. I also fell in love a very long time ago with the K2 kits. Super little, very fuel efficient, and gets you to where you want to go very fast. I wish I had more time and funding - I'd most likely have a few airplanes. I also love to build things, so the kit (when I get it) will be a complete joy to build and one day fly.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I would love to see the end result of an "N" numbered Badland, with all the bells and whistles. I think it would make a great platform for something like what you describe, and likely be an easy transition for you. According to Chris, it flies more like a GA aircraft than like an ultralight.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Imagine an F5 with that titanium frame and a 150HP hanging on the front! The first STOL aircraft to go vertical from a stand still! Or uh, spin like a top on it's tail :shock:
Allen Sutphin

Post by Allen Sutphin »

A powerful single seat bush plane! What's not to love! Right up my alley.