Stb Flaperon/Control Mount

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Stb Flaperon/Control Mount

Post by ksatter26 »

With the stb wing re-mounted I was able to install the stb flapperon and run the control cable thru the wing root rib and lower Oratex surface. I had some trepidation about fishing the end of the cable thru the bottom of the wing but that proved to be an easy task. I did place a light source on the top surface of the wing to provide a nice shadow of the positioning/location of the cable end inside the wing and was able to fish the end thru the slot in the bottom surface to make the connections.

I added a rubber grommet to the wing root rib to protect the Oratex fabric from wear when folding and unfolding the wing.

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

I also started the process of covering the port wing. Lessons learned in covering the stb wing will certainly speedup the process.

IMG_1213.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Stb Flaperon/Control Mount

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I like the grommet idea. I simply doubled the material around the hole because I wasn't sure where I would land (pun intended) in terms of final weight, and erred on the side of caution. The doubler should be fine, as Oratex is plenty hardy, but the grommet adds a nice clean look, I think.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I set the grommet in a piece of the windscreen plexiglass after testing a superglue/Oratex bond. I may put a circular patch of Oratex over it ... or maybe not as it is pretty much only visible with the wings folded.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Looking really nice, and I also like the grommet idea.

I'll be using your documentation a lot. I just put a bid in for a home here in Florida. Nothing great about the home, but the shop is really sweat!
LakeShop.png
If I get the house, then it's a matter of waiting for Chris to complete my kit.

Todd
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Looks to be a good space to build. The folding wings are a real help. I put up some hangers on the big hangar door and stored the wings and flapperons there. I also have an 8x4. Worktable ( cut down from 12x4.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I considered a worktable, and then realized I didn't have the space for it. I went with two Harbor Freight sawhorses. :lol: