Port wing fabric layout

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Port wing fabric layout

Post by ksatter26 »

Started the Oratex process on the port wing. Hopefully it will proceed more easily (and quicker) after the learning experiences on the stb wing. waiting for the underside trailing-edge glue to dry.

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Port wing fabric layout

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Very nice. A little more progress!
ksatter26

Port wing fabric layout - topside layout

Post by ksatter26 »

Port wing topside panel layout. Doesn't look like much but it's a lot of circling the table pulling and clamping the edges in place prior to applying glue lines to both the structure and the Oratex. Much easier as a two-man job ... maybe should have waited for my Grandson's Spring Break.

That cardboard roll really helps ...

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

The next step is to flip the wing over and run a line of fixing tape strip along the lower aluminum trailing edge strip marking the glue boundaries. I've found that this gives the cleanest/sharpest glue overlap edge.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Port wing fabric layout

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

How are you liking working with the clamps? I had trouble with them sliding off the clamped surfaces, but I was working with a cheap set of clamps I purchased off of Amazon. I ultimately ended up taping the fabric down before heating and bonding.
ksatter26

Cheap clamps also

Post by ksatter26 »

the clamping arms of my cheap plastic clamps rotate from flat to a more biting surface ... I'll get a picture tomorrow. I only use them to position the fabric long enough to mark the inside surface ith a rough pencil line too indicate the glue areas.
ksatter26

Cheapie HomeDepot Clamps

Post by ksatter26 »

IMG_1219.JPG
The rotating ends sometimes provide a better grip on the slic fabric surface.