Top Rudder 103 SOLO around the patch once

Here you’ll find URL Links to Chris Deuel's video posts on Instagram, educational, tutorial, pictures, and links to videos across the Internet that are flight based. Feel free to add links of such activities you find and share with others. Note that non-flight based links will most likely be removed except under special circumstances. Discussion reply posts are encouraged.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Top Rudder 103 SOLO around the patch once

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

What else to do on a cold winter day!

Dobie

Re: Top Rudder 103 SOLO around the patch once

Post by Dobie »

Apparently someone has purchased the tooling and rights to the Solo and Ruckus from Troy Woodland with the intent of bringing it or them to market. I’ve been set on an F3, but depending on STOL performance and final weight I may have to reconsider. The first Solo seemed heavy, so it will be interesting to see how it develops into a frozen design. Something compelling about the design, and if short field performance within 103 parameters is significantly better than the Badlands I may have to defect. Although, if folding or quickly removable wings aren’t part of the package the Badlands may remain the UL of choice.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I am in a similar situation. I just sold my SR 1 and some other misc. parts so I am in the market for a Pt 103. Even though I have a PP license, going 103 has always been my goal. I am looking at the current models that are available. Probably will go with a used one if I can find one. The Badland is most likely out (no used ones) so I am looking at the Aerolite 103, the Ruckus and a couple others. The Badland is the only one that is close to being worth the price. With the Aerolite, I cannot see 18K for what you get. Same with the Ruckus, Not that much there for 17K. The Badland is a little more work to make and a lot of labor involved. With all 3, weight is tough to control to make the 254# limit. Like all of us, I don't want a lead sled. Underpowered ultralights are borderline dangerous. And I WON'T wait a year or more for a kit. Too many things can happen in a year.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Have you considered any of the earlier options/ N-3 Pup, Minimax, etc...there seem to be a fair amount of reasonably priced ultralights available on Barnstormers in any given month. (I still "window shop" ultralights in spite of not being in the market for another one...)
Dobie

Post by Dobie »

Looking forward to seeing the performance specs on the Solo and Ruckus. As I understand it, the Solo barely makes weight (chute required) and the Ruckus will be ELSA/EAB. I’m pretty sure the videos of the very short takeoffs and landings are the Ruckus. More HP plus aero enhancements like slats. As much as I am attracted to that, should I be able to get my medical back I’d probably spend $25-30K on an Ercoupe and have the option of a “top down” wind in my hair puddle jumper plus cross country capable platform.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I will still get my BFR for a SP license so I can fly my friend's challenger. I personally do not care for wood aircraft. They are heavy at best. Right now, the only 2 that can make weight is the Aerolite 103 and the Badland (if you are careful). It will be a few years before used Badlands start showing up for sale. Aerolites are on Barnstormers though they are expensive. Who knows what tomorrow will bring!
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I am also looking at the Kolb Fire Fly. Good performance, decent used price and folding wings.
Dobie

Post by Dobie »

Top Rudder’s FB page says they will offer a folding wings option. Looking forward to weights, performance, and pricing info.