Gust locks (control locks)

This Forum is specific to the Badland Aircraft F1 through F5 series of ultralights. Unquestionably the most awesome ultralight available. The F1 through F5 are an advanced design of the Kitfox Lite, the ultralight version of the incredible and very popular Kitfox STOL experimental. If you want information about the ultimate in ultralight, this is the forum for you.

Don't forget to check out Tech Tips & Shared Knowledge sub-forum below.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Gust locks (control locks)

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

As I get much closer to trailering my plane, it's become time to think about gust locks for transport. I've seen a few varieties of gust lock, ranging from small plastic plates that clamp the two surfaces over a small footprint to larger wooden "clamps" lined with carpet.

Neither option appeals to me; the small plastic plate wouldn't work well with the somewhat delicate frame of the Badland control surfaces...I have a feeling it would distort the tube rather than prevent control surface movement.
Smallgustlock.JPG
Smallgustlock.JPG (7.9 KiB) Viewed 41 times
The wooden clamp seemed like an ideal way to promote hangar rash. I also didn't like the idea needing tools to afix the gust lock, or of a wing nut unspinning itself during transport and the entire assembly disappearing.
Woodgustlock.JPG
Woodgustlock.JPG (9.46 KiB) Viewed 41 times
I opted to use (largely) parts I had laying around the garage (or the house). I had purchased a bunch of pool noodles for another project, and I also had several already on hand because we have access to a pool. I discovered that they had differing inner diameters, and the smaller of the two fits the 1/2" PVC nice and snug.
Poolnoodles.jpg
I also had some leftover PVC pipe and fittings from redoing my sprinkler system years ago. Finally, I had some small hobby plywood I had used to make my radio mount for my instrument panel. All I needed was some PTO pins. Harbor Freight sells an assortment for under $10, so I grabbed a box.
PTOpins.jpg
Gustlockendplate.jpg
The hobby plywood will slip over the end of the gust lock and the PTO pins will hold it into place. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it should be effective while also being gentle on the control surfaces. Time will tell.
GustLockpartiallycompleted.jpg
Thoughts, feedback and design suggestions are appreciated. I will still need to add an extension and flag to one of the gust locks, since the plane hangs off the end of the trailer about three feet. More to come!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Gust locks (control locks)

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

I agree that the short gust locks may damage the plane. There's simply not enough material in between the fabric to really take any strain? I'm guessing on that, but like you, I'd rather be safe with something larger than sorry because something gets damaged. How long do you think the gust locks need to be? I like the PVC and noodle idea, but I've used the noodle's on my travel trailer on the outside. They don't do well in the summer sun. The sun makes them very brittle, and they easily crumble. This wouldn't be so much of an issue, because putting them on and off the plane, one would realize they need to be replaced. However, that may get to be bothersome if they need to be changed out fairly often (thinking several times a year). I wonder if the rubber style of insulation that is used on water pipes might work better and last longer?

Todd
broughtonkicks

Post by broughtonkicks »

Great idea. I have 2x4s covered in carpet that are connected via bolts and wing nuts.
I like your option better. They will certainly be lighter and more convenient than mine.

Thanks for sharing this.

~Barry
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Thanks for the feedback folks! The first one is pretty much done. I am extending it from one end of the control surface to the other. Todd, they will be stored inside when not in use, so I am hoping to get at least a year out of them. Also, the Dollar Store carries them, so replacing them will be easy enough.

So far it is proving quite easy to "install". We will see!
Gustlock_elev_front.jpg
Attachments
Gustlock_elev_rear.jpg
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:49 pm Thanks for the feedback folks! The first on is pretty much done. I am extending it from one end of the control surface to the other. Todd, they will be stored inside when not in use, so I am hoping to get at least a year out of them. Also, the Dollar Store carries them, so replacing them will be easy enough.

So far it is proving quite easy to "install". We will see!

Gustlock_elev_front.jpg
I like it and certainly looks like it'll work better than those commercial ones without damaging the flight surface! Nice!

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I am thinking they will work fine. My only concern is the amount of flex in PVC...but I don't think there will be enough to do any harm.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:45 pm I am thinking they will work fine. My only concern is the amount of flex in PVC...but I don't think there will be enough to do any harm.
To help reduce most of the flex, get yourself a can of insulation spray foam and shoot it down the pipes. It'll expand to the other end. Cut off the mess at the other end and viola, the tube will be stiffer and still be lightweight.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Oh, that is a very good idea. Thanks for that!