Bonanza to Badland

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

fly44d

Bonanza to Badland

Post by fly44d »

Hi all!
New to ultralights but have been flying since 1956 when grandpa bundled mom and 6 week old me into his C-170.

I bought Chris Deuel’s Badland F1 he had on display at Airventure 2023, picked it up in November and drove it to its new home at WVI Watsonville, CA.

Got a PPL in 1977, flew Cherokees, Cubs, Citabrias, Scout and a bunch of Bonanza time in the last 20 years. Lost the medical in 2020 and now I’m an ultralight pilot. ;)

I’m in the Facebook group and my first flights are there.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Bonanza to Badland

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Welcome to the group, Fly44d!

Watsonville...is that up north or Monterey? And which Badland is it you picked up? Is that the grey, red and black one, or a different one? (I don't recall what he had at Airventure.) Looking forward to stories of your adventures with it!

Can you tell us your impressions so far? Flight characteristics? Any comparisons to other planes you've flown?
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

fly44d wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:15 pm Hi all!
New to ultralights but have been flying since 1956 when grandpa bundled mom and 6 week old me into his C-170.

I bought Chris Deuel’s Badland F1 he had on display at Airventure 2023, picked it up in November and drove it to its new home at WVI Watsonville, CA.

Got a PPL in 1977, flew Cherokees, Cubs, Citabrias, Scout and a bunch of Bonanza time in the last 20 years. Lost the medical in 2020 and now I’m an ultralight pilot. ;)

Welcome to the group, and I'm in a similar boat - can't get my medical so UL here I come. I've got an order in with Chris. Just waiting for that to be built, and I'll run up to his place and bring it home. I really love the little plane. I'm looking forward to getting it together and flying it as soon as possible. Since you have Cub time, how different would you say the Cub is to the Badland? I know we are talking two different categories of aircraft, but wondering how much different the high drag Badland is to the Cub? Looking forward to hearing from you more.

Todd
fly44d

Post by fly44d »

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:00 pm Welcome to the group, Fly44d!

Watsonville...is that up north or Monterey? And which Badland is it you picked up? Is that the grey, red and black one, or a different one? (I don't recall what he had at Airventure.) Looking forward to stories of your adventures with it!

Can you tell us your impressions so far? Flight characteristics? Any comparisons to other planes you've flown?
Watsonville is east of Monterey on the same bay. Marine environment and weather. This F1 is the white with checkerboard pattern, naked fuselage and the Thump Air 460 four stroke engine.

I’ve flown twice so far, weather and life got in the way, but it is totally normal to me. Pitch trim would be nice, I’m at aft CG and had to keep pushing to keep the nose down. A 5 lb weight under the engine as “baggage” would help if I have to. On the ground you have to keep on it until stopped, I don’t have a steerable tail wheel so taxiing is a focused activity. ;)
Tom Hail
Badland F1 built by Chris Deuel
Purchased Nov 2023, first flown Feb 2024
YouTube:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWfk ... pLWD99TgrT
fly44d

Post by fly44d »

Badland-F5 Pilot wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:48 am

Welcome to the group, and I'm in a similar boat - can't get my medical so UL here I come. I've got an order in with Chris. Just waiting for that to be built, and I'll run up to his place and bring it home. I really love the little plane. I'm looking forward to getting it together and flying it as soon as possible. Since you have Cub time, how different would you say the Cub is to the Badland? I know we are talking two different categories of aircraft, but wondering how much different the high drag Badland is to the Cub? Looking forward to hearing from you more.

Todd
Thanks! It is a pain to fight for a medical and I gave up. Almost glad now with the Badland. I have the way to fly without the regs and expense now. The kids at my STEM events love the little plane!
The only thing I’ve noticed this the loss of airspeed with power reduction, as Chris told me. It slips great and no weird shuddering or funny motions that I’ve noticed so far. Don’t expect it to.
Tom Hail
YouTube:
fly44d

Post by fly44d »

By the way, this is my Badland now, this was while he was trying to find the right propeller for the Thump Air four stroke engine, he wouldn’t release it to me until he had it right.
https://www.fairmontsentinel.com/news/l ... -aircraft/

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/qy6k4gmx ... ehv20&dl=0
Tom Hail
YouTube: