Anybody Paint their Wing Spars??

This forum contains builder discussion topics. These are topics where members can post messages to the builders. These topics will stay at the top of the Badland Builds forum topics for easy access.

Members are encouraged to subscribe to builders they wish to follow. To subscribe, go into the Badlands Builds forum, scroll down to Topics. Select the topic of the builder you wish to follow. Click on the wrench at the top of the message (right next to the Post Reply). Click on the Subscribe Topic. From then on an email notice will be sent when a post is made in that builder's discussion log topic. Builders are encouraged to subscribe to their own discussion topic so they will be notified when someone leaves a post for them.

At the very top of the Badlands Builds forum are the builders sub-forums. Builders are the only ones allowed to post in their own sub-forum (remember this is a log for them and others to follow, not a discussion area) - that's what the builder discussion topics are for.

Builders - submit a request using the comment, private message, or email to request a builder sub-forum. If we become aware of a build, in most cases we'll automatically create a builders log for the builder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Bruce_L

Anybody Paint their Wing Spars??

Post by Bruce_L »

Has anybody applied any kind of paint or primer onto their 2 1/2" spars before applying your covering material?

Is there a possible long term corrosion issue that needs to be prevented ahead of time.

How about painting the elevator control pushrod or the lift struts?

I know this is all thin wall tubing so I am wondering if this needs to be addressed.

Any good recommendations for what brand of paint or primer to use?

Thanks Guys!
Mountain Cat

Re: Anybody Paint their Wing Spars??

Post by Mountain Cat »

If you are using Oratex, then the paint/primer needs to be compatible with the glue. Best to ask Oratex. Most alum used in aircraft construction is already protected somewhat, with the exception being saltwater. If I paint the tubing, I always use the primer recommended by the covering system.
Badland1

Post by Badland1 »

I spray or brush everything that gets fabrib with Stewart's System EkoPrime. Highly recommended. All of the other exposed aluminum I either clear coat or primer/paint :)
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I left all aluminum unpainted in the interest of saving weight. I have not seen any issues as of yet with corrosion nor with glue bonding.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Same here ... no primer or paint on the aluminum spars. I did prime and paint (to match the white airframe) the struts (lift and jury) and the exposed elevator control tube ... also the solid aluminum tailwheel tube (spring ?).