Trailer Loading

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Trailer Loading

Post by ksatter26 »

Still waiting on the accurate parcel scale to complete my CG calculations. So with 2 days of nice warm dry weather after the rains, I decided to put the beast on my converted trailer to work out a procedure and to get some measurements about where to mount the tailwheel bracket. Once again a valuable (?) learning experience.

Without major reorganization of the hangar/shop, with the wings extended I have but 6-8" of clearance to get thru the hydraulic hangar door. I thought it would bne easier to lift the tail and walk it out . The free castering wheel digs-in (not quite as dried out as I had expected).

IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG

I secured cargo straps to the gear cross-members and ran the line from the mechanical trailer winch to the center point. The new Harbor Freight ramps are a must when working alone.

IMG_1262.JPG

I believe it might be slightly easier to fold the wings at this point, but once again, working alone I prefer to have the weigh forward so that I can lift the tail easier.

IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG

At this point I took my tailwheel positioning measurements . When ready for actual transport I'll tie-down the main gear using cargo straps and D-rings bolted to the tailer deck. With these measurements I can set about designing/fabricating/installing the hold-down fixture.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Trailer Loading

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:13 pm Still waiting on the accurate parcel scale to complete my CG calculations. So with 2 days of nice warm dry weather after the rains, I decided to put the beast on my converted trailer to work out a procedure and to get some measurements about where to mount the tailwheel bracket. Once again a valuable (?) learning experience.

Without major reorganization of the hangar/shop, with the wings extended I have but 6-8" of clearance to get thru the hydraulic hangar door. I thought it would bne easier to lift the tail and walk it out . The free castering wheel digs-in (not quite as dried out as I had expected).

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

I secured cargo straps to the gear cross-members and ran the line from the mechanical trailer winch to the center point. The new Harbor Freight ramps are a must when working alone.

IMG_1262.JPG

I believe it might be slightly easier to fold the wings at this point, but once again, working alone I prefer to have the weigh forward so that I can lift the tail easier.

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

At this point I took my tailwheel positioning measurements . When ready for actual transport I'll tie-down the main gear using cargo straps and D-rings bolted to the tailer deck. With these measurements I can set about designing/fabricating/installing the hold-down fixture.
Very nice Kurt. For your test drive, my address is 1234 GiveMeYourPlane Dr.
Middleburg, FL 32068

😅😅😅😅😅

Nice job Kurt.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Kurt is there anything keeping the plane from wandering left or right while pulling it up the ramps? Not having any sides on those ramps would make me nervous!
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I thought the same thing. I'll probably bolt a 1x4 inch "fence" to the ramps.

I have a Harbor Freight electric winch bolted to the back wall of my hangar/shop. So I'm covered on witching onto (mechanical boat winch) and off-of the trailer.

Now 8f icon just get the CG right.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Just came in from adding 5/8" ply "fences" to the Harbor Freight ramps. I will also add these fences to the perimeter of the trailer.

IMG_1267.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Very nice. The fencing is a good idea. I also notice that you look to be winching the plane from a single point in the middle of the gear. I opted to use two short adjustable straps, so I can align the plane and keep it aligned while winching...something you may want to consider trying. It's worked well for me so far.
PlaneonRamp.jpg