A bit of a problem ...

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

A bit of a problem ...

Post by ksatter26 »

I haven't posted any updates on the project in a few weeks due to some weather related problems and a faux pas on my part.

We've had some standard North Texas crazy weather ... not as bad as Peer is getting in SoCal, but enough to cause me problems. As I've stated before a North Wind driven rain overwhelms the apron in front of my huge hangar door and I get an inch or more of water over most of the 30'40' slab floor. With most of the bird completed I've been putting the finishing touches on the converted boat trailer. Just before "the rain", I loaded the project on the trailer to set the position of the tie-down D-rings, etc. I got the bright idea to jack up the tongue of the trailer and put it down on a small furniture dolly so that I could more easily move it around the shop.

COME the rains ... I got out the wet/dry vac and started the drain/dry process (7-8 gallons)! Inadvertently, I pushed the trailer backwards and the port wing made ugly contact with my large shop pedestal fan. I crushed the cap-strip on the top center of the outboard wing and tore up the Oratex. Not a happy camper. I epoxied in an 0.016" web of 6061T6 and added in a new section of cap-strip to make the repair.

CrushedRibRepair.jpg

IMG_1280.JPG

I trimmed out the loose Oratex and recovered the entire upper outboard panel. I'm currently recovering the tip and will replace the white tip striping to complete the repairs.

IMG_1281.JPG

I added fences to the outside of the trailer bed as the gear tread just fits the width. with the cargo straps, the fences help to keep the beast from shifting post-starboard. I use the built-in mechanical boat winch to snug the mount forward and I added a set of blocks to keep the tail-wheel in position along with another cargo strap to restrain tail lift and movement aft.

IMG_1283.JPG

I got pool noodles at WalMart to restrain rudder and elevator movement. I use heavy duty rubber bands to keep these in place.

IMG_1282.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: A bit of a problem ...

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Kurt, I gotta say it looks like you've done a great job with the patch on the wing. I take it the fan was ON when the "uncleared approach" with the fan occurred?

The trailer is also looking good. You look to be halfway out the door to first testing from the look of things!