Lost to checkafter 1st TAXI

This forum contains builder discussion topics. These are topics where members can post messages to the builders. These topics will stay at the top of the Badland Builds forum topics for easy access.

Members are encouraged to subscribe to builders they wish to follow. To subscribe, go into the Badlands Builds forum, scroll down to Topics. Select the topic of the builder you wish to follow. Click on the wrench at the top of the message (right next to the Post Reply). Click on the Subscribe Topic. From then on an email notice will be sent when a post is made in that builder's discussion log topic. Builders are encouraged to subscribe to their own discussion topic so they will be notified when someone leaves a post for them.

At the very top of the Badlands Builds forum are the builders sub-forums. Builders are the only ones allowed to post in their own sub-forum (remember this is a log for them and others to follow, not a discussion area) - that's what the builder discussion topics are for.

Builders - submit a request using the comment, private message, or email to request a builder sub-forum. If we become aware of a build, in most cases we'll automatically create a builders log for the builder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

ksatter26

Lost to checkafter 1st TAXI

Post by ksatter26 »

While trying to get videos loaded, I can report on the 20 minutes of 1st taxi testing ... misty rain and marginal winds cut us short.

(1) DEFINITELY need to find better tailwheel springs! The ones I have installed are WAY TOO light.

(2) I need to add larger washer spacers between the nice tailwheel and the frame mount. The light springs probably compound the problem.

(3) I need to seriously adjust the brake cables. The stb brake was almost useless.

(4) need to check the CHT and EGT probes. I did not see much movement on the gage.

(5) throttle response good. My small Throttle quadrant (from A/C Spruce) works well but needs some locktite on the housing cover screw ... this is also the ratchet/pressure/ lock adjustment.

(6) Tighten the turnbuckles at the rudder horn. A little sloppy on the rudder pedals.

(7) Biggest PROBLEM: on the trip home, about 3 miles from the hangar/shop, the aft spar mount bracket tab being used for my 3/16" rod clevis fork ends folded wing positioner/stay broke off. We were able to.pull off the road and bungee cord it in place to get the beast home. My "elegant" solution to lock the folded wings in position needs to be re-evaluated.

More later.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Lost to checkafter 1st TAXI

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Wow, lots to do, but a lot of really good information on what you've got to do. Not a bad day's mission I say, and very productive!

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Thanks for the write-up of the event Kurt! It sounds pretty eventful!

I wonder how much a tighter spring will assist in the tailwheel steering on your set-up? As I recall the spring is almost perpendicular to the travel of the steering arms, which will provide the least amount of feedback possible. A really tight spring might provide some input, but only testing will indicate how much. (I'm not sure if my description is clear, so perhaps picture references would help.)
KurtTailsprings.JPG
Peer Tailspring.JPG
Even my spring is probably too light, but it is at least pulling more in the direction of travel. The trade-off is that you have a much cooler (and most likely lighter) tail spring. :)

Where will the washer spacers be fitted and for what purpose?

Functioning brakes are definitely a plus!

Bummer about the bracket tab on the wing. Did you see my text regarding that? Let me know what you come up with in regards to a redesign.

All in all, a huge step forward for you. It is motivating me to load mine up and get it out there!
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Also, were you taxiing on a hard surface or on grass (or did you get an opportunity to do both)?

I am very curious to hear how much of a difference it makes...
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I taxied on the asphalt for a start. That's when I noted that the stb brake was weak and the rudder cables could be tighter ... probsbly also a function of the weak tsilwheel springs.

I then taxied off to the grass. With the weak stb brake I managed to get the stb gear into a small hole. I was able to overpower the restraint and pulled back onto the apron.

The wind seemed to be picking up and tge sky darkening earlier than forecast so we decided to loD up snd head home.

I should have the video files by Sunday for posting, but you might find s few minutes of the testing on YouTube ... search North Texas BadlandF-3 Taxi ... yes no space before F-3.