Rudder/Tailwheel Sorings

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Rudder/Tailwheel Sorings

Post by ksatter26 »

I believe i finally have a good set of springs. Relaxed, they are about 2.5" + 3/8" for the mounting ring. Diameter is about 0.5".

Will try mounting later today.

Anyone out there know how to copy .MOV files located somewhere in the great void of the iCloud ( that can view on my Android phone but not copy or move) convert to MP4 or JPEG and get to my PC or phone picture gallery?
ksatter26

Re: Rudder/Tailwheel Springs - Pix

Post by ksatter26 »

RudderTailwheelSprings.JPG
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Rudder/Tailwheel Sorings

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:38 pm I believe i finally have a good set of springs. Relaxed, they are about 2.5" + 3/8" for the mounting ring. Diameter is about 0.5".

Will try mounting later today.

Anyone out there know how to copy .MOV files located somewhere in the great void of the iCloud ( that can view on my Android phone but not copy or move) convert to MP4 or JPEG and get to my PC or phone picture gallery?
Hey Kurt. There are several free online services for converting video formats. If you don't wish to use them, if we can find out how to transfer the .mov files, I have the applications to convert them for you. However, I don't know how Apple downloads from the iCloud works, sorry. I'm an Android user.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Those should work for you Kurt. Are they pretty stiff?

Funny thing, I was just checking the tension on my springs...I am having the same issue you are when backing the plane off the trailer. I may go a notch tighter on mine.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

They are pretty stiff, but if you look closely the two do not match. I guess I didn't check them when I pulled the pair out of the "spring bin" at the hardware store. I'll remedy that tomorrow, but it looks like they'll work fine.

IMG_1288.JPG

Reset and tightened the brake and rudder cables and am currently working on the folded wing stays. Once done I hope to get back to the airstrip for testing ... weather permitting. It has been very windy. I still have to look at the CHT and EGT probes. I hope it is only connections, but I saw no movement of the gauge on the brief taxi run last week.

I have a "game scale" that I'm going to try and attach to the tailwheel bracket and to the car tow hitch. The plan is to run the Polini up to max power to get a rough reading on the thrust.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Well, the springs look to be the same length. As long as they have the same spring rate they should be fine, at least for now.

Let us know the results of the thrust test!

I'm sure we are also looking forward to a video of your next taxi test...at least I am!