Always Evaluating my Mission

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

brs

Always Evaluating my Mission

Post by brs »

Hello from the PNW!

Lately I've been re-evaluating my flying Mission. Got the Private in '79 just out of high school. Added the rest of the ratings (mostly) as well as A&P /Avionics in college (Moody Bible Institute / Moody Aviation). Have owned two gyroplanes, a DA40, C-206, Highlander, Sportsman, Sonex in that order. Still have the last two. As I age (like a fine cheese?) i've been noticing mission creep. I now fly fewer hours, seldom do cross countries as there is really no place like home. So I mostly go up and punch holes in the sky burning increasingly expensive 100LL. Though my favorite place to be is at the airport tinkering in the Hangar. Just like many things in life, I don't know what fllying part 103 is all about and am curious.

Historically climbing in a craft that must be made with tissue paper (to keep it under 254#) has been terrifing idea. However seems the latest technology is quite close to what I have flown in the past. Just a very light wing loading. I'm still unsure about structural robustness as I've seen too many online videos of landings gone wrong. Anyway, I'm here to kick the tires.

Designs I've glanced at started with the AffordaPlane (built with 2x2 aluminum tubing like my gyroplanes), then the Legal-Eagle, and now the Badland acft. So I'm here to learn. Not very fond of 2 cycle engines (just don't understand them as well as I do 4 cycle) the Verner 3VL looks and sounds really cool. So I might start with that as an anchor point for the direction I go.

Cheers!
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Always Evaluating my Mission

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Well howdy, and welcome to the group! Greetings from Los Angeles!

I think historically the ultralights actually WERE made with tissue paper, but the recent designs have turned that notion on it's ear and we now are able to play with what seem a lot more like "real airplanes".

If your favorite place to be is in the hangar tinkering, you may have found the perfect way to scratch that itch. Ultralights by nature are great at promoting creativity and experimentation. The rules are few and (relatively) clearly defined, so as long as you stay within the required parameters, the sky's the limit!

I also glanced at the Affordaplane. The biggest issue (for me) was the lack of folding wings) as I am building out of my garage in Los Angeles and space is at a premium. I also am not overly fond of the landing gear design. It seems...less than robust, and I've seen at least one failure due to a hard landing. On the up side I like the idea of building entirely from scratch. The Legal Eagle is also a fine choice, but I wanted something that more closely mimics the "big boys" and has folding wings, so I ended up with a Badland. I am happy with my choice. To be honest, even if I DID have a hangar I'd likely have made the same decision...I really like the look, and it's a proven design, since it has existed in various other iterations prior to the Badland.

Many people learn to love 2 strokes - treat them right and they treat you right in return. There is also some comfort from knowing there are only three moving parts (or so)...what could possibly go wrong? :lol:

-Peer