Updates before 3rd round of taxi testing

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Updates before 3rd round of taxi testing

Post by ksatter26 »

The 2nd round of taxi testing a few weeks ago was a real adventure resulting in the last few weeks of education, research, repairs and upgrades.

I hope to post a 4 minute video of the test. about 2 minutes into the video is when I found I had no left rudder control, so I wandered all around the taxi-way getting back to the trailer.

The trip TO Caddo Mills was uneventful but the 3 miles from home on the return trip mi "elegant", threaded-rod folded wing bracing system failed and we had to bungee up the folded wing to get the beast back to the shop.

Also noted during the test was that I was getting no cooling fluid or CHT temperature readings.

Checking over the rudder problem I found that the nicco press clamp on the cable at the pedal had not been properly swagged swagged. I replaced the sleeve and after swagging checked all of the other connectors. During this exercise, I noted that the tailwheel spring (a 0.75" diameter 6061T6 aluminum rod about a foot long) was slightly bent at the fuselage mount. I'm replacing it with the steel rod provided with the kit.

IMG_1305.JPG

I've replaced the folded wing braces (3/16" threaded rods with fork ends) with aluminum L-agnle stock.

LOts of research to find a coolant temperature gauge small enough to fit my panel. I found it on Amazon (Temu ... China) for $22. I had to splice ithe tapped coupler into the 16mm id hose from the top of the cylinder head. The folks at Southwest AIrsports told me that I did not need the thermostat in the head fitting unless I was flying in the Great White North. So I removed that as well.

Weather has stepped in to delay the process, but I hope to get the beast back out to Caddo Mills later this week.

Here's hoping the video uploads ... 406 Mbytes.
Attachments
RunwayTaxi03.MP4
(405.24 MiB) Downloaded 108 times
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Updates before 3rd round of taxi testing

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Well Kurt, every step is eventually progress, even the ones that go backwards. It's certainly better than standing still!

Thanks for posting the video!

Good luck on your next test.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

The video did indeed upload, and made for some good viewing. About two minutes in all I could think was "Go home, Kurt. You're drunk". haha

Seriously though, that must have been a bear to bring the plane back. Does it have a tendency to turn right (and require left rudder) thanks to the clockwise prop rotation?

As Todd said, it's ALL progress. The upside here is that you were able to identify several deficits at one time. I am very much looking forward to the next round of testing!
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

The two soft, light weight, beveled grommets delivered with the bulkhead fitting shredded when I torqued down on the mounting nut. I cut a 1/2" rubber grommet in half and replaced the two soft seals late yesterday afternoon. Checked on the beast this morning and saw a few drops of fuel had leaked overnight from the bulkhead fitting in the bottom of the tank. I was able to apply a little more torque and it appears the leak is fixed. Again I will check it after it sits overnight.

I have replaced the bent solid rod tailspring and the rudder springs coupling. After much thought, I believe the original rod bent when I had the tailwheel rigidly secured to the trailer bed and possibly hit pothole during transport.

The new springs on the steering horn finally match very closely.

IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG

This afternoon I will mount the new coolant temperature gauge and hopefully startup the engine (sans prop) to check the instrumentation.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Kurt, if possible, you should consider a pedestal for the aft end of the fuselage. You're not the first person to bend a tail spring as a result of having it strapped directly to the trailer. I've seen a few people use a flatbed trailer like yours but add a small footstool under the tail to elevate the tailwheel.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

That was in the original design using PVC pipe. Back to the drawing board. I'll probably hinge it to the floor