Hi from Northeast PA.

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Jim Parker

Hi from Northeast PA.

Post by Jim Parker »

Hi to the group.
My name is Jim Parker. I'm 81 Yrs young and have been flying for about 17 years. I have a sport pilot license and am currently flying a Challenger II CW out of Cherry Ridge airport (N30), Honesdale, PA. I have flown a Hummel Ultracruiser, a FFP Classic, Backyard Flyer 103 but mostly a Challenger II Longwing which is now in Fla.
I, with a buddy, recently purchased a Kitfox Lite in an estate sale. It needs some fabric work and some other somewhat minor repairs to be flyable. I have no history on the plane as the owner passed and no Logs came with it. Price was too good to pass up. I hope to be able to ask some questions and get answers to put it in the air.
I'm currently working to get the conditional inspection done on the C-II CW and get it in the air. My buddy is flying his Backyard Flyer and working on the Kitfox lite. I'll be contacting the Badlands folks soon to order some parts once we determine exactly what we need. It has a 2Si 460 in it.

Enough for now. I'll be on the forum in other areas as needs arise.

Jim Parker
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Hi from Northeast PA.

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Jim Parker wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:20 pm Hi to the group.
My name is Jim Parker. I'm 81 Yrs young and have been flying for about 17 years. I have a sport pilot license and am currently flying a Challenger II CW out of Cherry Ridge airport (N30), Honesdale, PA. I have flown a Hummel Ultracruiser, a FFP Classic, Backyard Flyer 103 but mostly a Challenger II Longwing which is now in Fla.
I, with a buddy, recently purchased a Kitfox Lite in an estate sale. It needs some fabric work and some other somewhat minor repairs to be flyable. I have no history on the plane as the owner passed and no Logs came with it. Price was too good to pass up. I hope to be able to ask some questions and get answers to put it in the air.
I'm currently working to get the conditional inspection done on the C-II CW and get it in the air. My buddy is flying his Backyard Flyer and working on the Kitfox lite. I'll be contacting the Badlands folks soon to order some parts once we determine exactly what we need. It has a 2Si 460 in it.

Enough for now. I'll be on the forum in other areas as needs arise.

Jim Parker
Welcome Jim. Sounds like a good project plane. Since the Badland aircraft are very similar, there should be little trouble in finding help here. We are a bit slow this hot summer, but talk will pick up as soon as things cool a bit. No one wants to work in the heat. I'm wishing my pole barn had front and back ends, so I could insulate and add some cooling air! Right now, I have to be happy to have the pole barn at all and have the north or south (preferably north) window blow through from time to time to help cool me down. I'm also planning a virtual fly in zoom session later this fall. Normally we have this twice a year, however the last couple we had to put on hold. I was in the process of moving from Dallas TX to Florida this last winter, and then buying a house this spring/summer. I will get that session set up, and you're of course welcome to attend. Typically, Chris Deuel, owner of Badland Aircraft is able to attend. He'd have plenty of information for you, since the Badland Aircraft are made from modified jigs he purchased of the Kitfox Lite. Looking forward to chatting with you and welcome to the group.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hi Jim, and welcome to the madness, although (as Todd said) it's a rather slow madness at the moment. It seems we all live in very hot climes that don't lend themselves well to plane construction in the summer. For me that's Los Angeles, building my Badland F-2 out of my garage. I can only dream of a pole barn at this point, back walls or not!

As Todd mentioned, you'll probably get all the information you need from the group, as the Kitfox is remarkably similar to the Badland in many ways. But let's get to the important stuff...pictures! We love pictures! Hoping you have some to share!

-Peer
broughtonkicks

Post by broughtonkicks »

Greetings Jim.
Welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing (hearing about) the progress on your plane. There are a lot great posts/threads on this forum that I you find helpful.
Happy flying.
Barry
F3 Speed +
E014BB
Bruce_L

Post by Bruce_L »

81 years old and flying silly little airplanes.

I want to be just like Jim!!!!
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

ha! Don't we all!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Bruce_L wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:34 am 81 years old and flying silly little airplanes.
Retired and sitting in a chair all day watching nothing on TV or flying silly little airplanes....I'll take the latter any day and twice on Sunday's!

Todd