From - Badland-F5 Pilot

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

From - Badland-F5 Pilot

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Hi, my name is Todd and I'm one of the founders of the Badland Part 103 Pilots and Builders Forum. I've posted in the Story forum how this site came about and a little information about myself. A little more about me is that I was born at Beale AFB in Northern California. My dad flew on KC-135 Stratotankers. He was a boom operator (in-flight refueling). Anyone knowing about Beale and Kadena Japan know that the KC-135's stations at Beale and Kadena were used mainly for inflight refueling of one particular aircraft - the awesome SR-71 Blackbird. Though my dad retired in 1970, I had a love of flight because of his military career. I spent 4 years in the USAF myself, leaving at then end of my tour because at that time transferring from the 554th Security Police Squadron stationed at Nellis AFB to another field (mainly to a flight crew) wasn't an option presented to me. In 1999 I finally took the leap into flying and was working towards my private pilots certification. After less than 20 hours, my instructor (certified flight instructor or CFI) put me into the 104 program, speeding up how quickly I could get my certification. I was around 45 hours when my CFI told me I was very close to being ready to test. Unfortunately life issues intervened and I never completed my training or testing. Eventually my interest picked up again and in the early 2000's I was in Dallas TX, looking to get back into flying. Life jumped in the way again with a heart attack in 2004. I recovered fairly well but at that time getting through medical with the FAA was very difficult if not impossible after a heart attack. I pretty much gave up on my dream at that time. Around the end of 2020 I started having some issues again with my heart, this time I was very pro-active. I actually changed my cardiologist because I found the one I had been seeing for many years was very simply, not good. Returning back to my original cardiologist that took care of me when I had my heart attack got me on track to being healthier and stronger than I've been in many years. A recent (as of Dec/21) evaluation was so good that I most likely could get past the FAA medical and back into a full size aircraft. The big problem there is the cost. I simply can't justify the $6,000 to $10,000 just for certification and that doesn't include any costs to get me through the medical. What options are left? Ultralight of course! I fell in love with the Badland Aircraft. I simply love the idea of STOL and back country flying. Don't get me wrong, I know the limitations of an ultralight. I'm not going to fly for hours and hours (not enough fuel for one), and ultralights are, well ultralight. That means they get pretty difficult to handle in even mild wind. However, cross country trips are not out of the question. I just have to plan very well, and fully intend to do so. While waiting to get on the build list with Badland Aircraft I've been re-learning about flight. I'll continue to do so even after I get my plane and start flying again. Education helps keep you out of trouble. The last thing I want to do is have someone say "he survived his heart attack, improved his health, and then died because he didn't educate himself on how to fly his ultralight". Yeah, that would be a big bummer. At this point I'm saving for my F5, the baddest ultralight Badland Aircraft produces. I'm going for the kit and will be outfitting the plane with instruments and features typically found only in larger aircraft, of course while still remaining below maximum weight allowed by the FAA. The F5 has a titanium frame which makes it 30Lbs lighter than the F1~F4 series. That sounds great, but this also adds a lot to the cost of the plane. I'll be retiring in another year so I'm going to be selfish and get what I want, and I want an F5. Just think of it - the fastest plane on earth and the slowest share the same building materials - titanium. Now that's cool. My dad passed many years ago, but I hope that the day I lift off the ground he'll be with me in my F5.

So now, you know part of my story. Please introduce yourself so we can get to know you. Enjoy the forum and Grow The Sport!

Sincerly,
Todd C. AKA Badland-F5 Pilot
jgarrott

Re: From - Badland-F5 Pilot

Post by jgarrott »

Hello Todd,
My name is John. I have started flight training (Cessna 150) and am loving it. I am very interested in Badlands Ultralights and came across this forum on the Ultralight Aviators of North Texas Facebook page. I am in the North Texas (McKinney) are and was wondering if anyone in the area is flying a Badland or any information on the ultralight community in the area.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: From - Badland-F5 Pilot

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Hi John, welcome to the forum. I also trainged in a 150 and after another student wrapped it around a tree in Tahoe my instructor put me in his 182. What a difference! That all was back around 1998. I was on the edge of completing and testing when life interviened. I never did complete. You'll be happy to know that what you're learning, especially ground school will be enourmously helpful if you decide to also fly UL's. I went looking around to find a UL to get into, not wanting to spend a ton of money on full GA flight training, and stumbled across Badland Aircraft. I love the planes that Chris builds and as he stated on one of the interviews from when he was at Oshkosh, he wanted to build a UL that's as close to a GA aircraft as possible. I think he succedded. I've been on the build list since last September. I'm hoping I'm close to having Chris build my F5 kit. I also think I'm on the Ultralight Aviators of North Texas. I don't get around to checking on the FB forums I'm on much, but glad to hear you found us there. We only started the forum last spring so there's not a lot of us on here, but we're here and plan to continue promoting Badland UL's and UL's in general. I'm down next to Ray Hubbard in Rowlett. I don't know of anyone yet that has a Badland Aircraft in the area. There is one future UL pilot going up to pick up his plane shortly after Chris returns from Oskosh. I'm sorry I don't recall his name or the FB forum he's on. I'll try and grab that on my next visit to the forums. I'm also not sure if he's building from kit or if he's having Chris build the the UL for him. As for UL community, the only group that use to exist that I know of was in Addison. They have broken up, at least I think they have as I've not been able to get a hold of any of them. Too bad to because if I recall, they were also in the EAA as an ultralight club. I would love to see UL's litterally take off again here in Dallas. It seems like the perfect place for that type of flying. Of course, it only takes one to start a club or group!

Todd