F3+ Kit - Serial # BA22F3K0015

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

F3+ Kit - Serial # BA22F3K0015

Post by ksatter26 »

Chris adds an aluminum plate with the A/C Serial # to the lower cross-member behind the cockpit area. Mine seems to indicate that it is his 15th F3 A/C.

Somewhat going from the Build Manual provided. I started with the Main Gear Assemblies. I have the 15x6.00x6 nylon split rims, tires and tubes (for the 160mm disc brakes).

I spent over 4 hours trying to get the tires onto the split rims. I managed to get the rims to fit (very tight) by sanding down the interior rims of the tires quite a bit. Once this was done, I inserted one-half of the rim then stuffed the tube into the tire (not a good fit); then tried inserting the other half rim. NO JOY! The tube pinches between the two half rims when they are drawn together via the 3 mounting bolts. I tried the tube completely devoid of air and with various levels of air pressure. The only thing I did was to pinch the tube and cause a puncture.

I finally gave up and tried to take the assemblies to local tire shops. 3 refused to even try to make the mounts. I finally found one 20 miles away that actually completed one assembly, but told me that the puncture I put in the other tube was in a place that could not be patched. I started my research for a local source for a 15x6.00x6 tube with a right-angle filler stem. WalMart to the rescue ... at a not unreasonable price. Tube due here tomorrow. The shop says they'll do the mount.

I reamed-out the axle tubes to fit the 5/8" axles . Chris found my Brake Caliper Mount Brackets in his shop and shipped them out to me. They should also arrive tomorrow. I should have port & starboard gear assemblies done by the end of the week.

Meanwhile. I'm pitting the finishing touches on my ugly (but hopefully functional) PVC/wire-braced "rotisserie" jigs that whould allow me to mount/rotate the fuselage or wings for ease of work. Pictures to follow.