My Tail Number and Radio ID: E011BC

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

My Tail Number and Radio ID: E011BC

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

I submitted to the EAA for my voluntary aircraft registration (free to EAA members). This is a registration number that can be put on ultralights just like an "N" tail number for FAA registered aircraft. We can also use this as our radio call, though the FAA I'm sure would like us to include the word "Ultralight" instead of the manufacturer's or model name of the plane which is common with LSA/GA aircraft. Here's an article I wrote up on the subject of the use of the EAA's registration number (https://badland103forum.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=151) This came about when discussing ADS-b out for ultralights, is it legal, and what about a tail number, and then it went into radio use and identification. I think it's a good write up and I did research the subject. Here is the official letter from the EAA -

Thank you for participating in EAA’s ultralight vehicle registration program.

This program is just one of many EAA benefits that are available to you. By registering your vehicle with EAA, you are helping fellow ultralight flyers by meeting the self-regulation intent of FAR Part 103, thus helping prevent further FAA regulation.

Your registration number is E011BC for your Badland F5 Fujita.

You will want to show those numbers on your vehicle to demonstrate to airport managers and others in the ultralight community your commitment to safety and responsible flying. It is suggested that you follow these simple guidelines. You may display your registration number on either the vertical tail surfaces or the sides of the fuselage/primary structure. It is suggested that, if possible, the marks be at least three inches high and of contrasting color to your vehicle.

It is further suggested that you keep this letter or a copy with your aircraft’s logbook. If you move or sell your vehicle, please notify EAA’s Ultralight Programs Office by phone, or mail. The voice number is (920) 426-6831, and e-mail ultralights@eaa.org. If you have any questions about the registration program or how to display your markings, please call the EAA Ultralight Programs Office.

EAA has many resources available to you on our website, EAA.org/Ultralights including free downloadable Training Guides, Ultralight Sourcebook, Videos and more.

Have Fun and Fly Safe,
EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION

Notice that the EAA follows the same path in identifying the ultralight as a “vehicle”, though in my article I show that the FAA considers ultralights as aircraft with the exception of in the Part 103 rules, and there's a very good reason why this is done. Note nowhere in the FARS is an ultralight in any way defined as not being an aircraft.

In the interest as stated by the EAA above in helping to prevent further FAA regulation, I'm happy to have Echo Zero One One Bravo Charlie as the EAA volunteer registration for my ultralight vehicle ie... aircraft :)
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: My Tail Number and Radio ID: E011BC

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Congrats on your assigned registration number!

Is it possible to register for your number on-line? And if so, it may be beneficial to post the link here.