Just a cool "encounter"

This forum is for general chat that doesn't fit into the other forums. Posts in other forums that should be here will be moved here. This forum is generally ultralight aviation oriented, but other subjects may be posted. Just remember the rules, especially the first one - be nice. If you can't be nice, don't post. It's that simple. Of course the best way to support your opinion is to post with references, not just "I heard" or "I was told so that's the way it is...". Inaccurate information abounds today, let's try and not have it here. Enjoy the forum and general discussions.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Just a cool "encounter"

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I happened upon this today while driving along old Route 66. Roy's Cafe is one of the iconic pit-stops along the old route, with a dirt runway behind it. I had stopped there before to chat with the owner, who is slowly working to bring the place back to it's previous glory. A few years ago he managed to get the big "Roy's" sign out front relit, and it managed to spark an impromptu fly-in somehow. It was an unsanctioned event, as I recall him telling me, but five or six folks showed up, landed and taxied their way out front to the road frontage. I didn't see the owner of this gem, but took a second to walk around it and have a closer look before heading on my way.

It also occurred to me that this would be a great destination for a day flight; it sits about 100 miles north of Palm Springs, and while crossing somewhat of a mountain range, there is plenty of flat terrain always within reach in the event of a forced landing.

Attachments
planeatroys.jpeg
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Just a cool "encounter"

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

This is cool. I remember you mentioning this place some time back. Having a plane out front, even just one certainly would gain some attention by those driving by.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Just a cool "encounter"

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

It certainly grabbed MY attention!