Belated Intro: F3 Builder North Texas

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

ksatter26

Belated Intro: F3 Builder North Texas

Post by ksatter26 »

I really thought I had posted an intro when I noted ordering my F3 kit about a year ago. Evidently I did not do so.

Formerly a Software and Manufacturing Engineer turned to Industrial Engineering Prof. Started building a Bower's FlyBaby a number of years ago. At about 90% complete (with 65 Franklin found in a rice farmer's barn), Hurricane Katrina put the project somewhere in Lake Pontchatrain or the Gulf.

While teaching at LA Tech (Alma Mater) and with access to the fine machine shops of the ME Department, I built a MiniMAX 1103R with a Hirth engine Completed here in North Texas after retirement and eventually sold to a flyer in Minnesota.

Have a nearly completed Zenith CH-701 with the Viking 110 HP Honda conversion, but since I lost my medical and still enjoy building, I ordered (and am now building) an F3 with the Polini Thor 303. I have posted several entries in the Build Log section (Ksatter26) and will try to keep up a running commentary on progress.

Learned to fly in CT just after graduation while working on NASA projects at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft and ompleted my Private Pilot SEL while at NASA in Clear Lake (~1973).
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Belated Intro: F3 Builder North Texas

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Wow, Katrina did the plane in. That must have been a big disappointment! Kurt I think you're being modest about your posts of the F3 build. The pictures and commentary is excellent. Anyone building a Badland will find the information you've posted very useful. We're glad to have you taking the time to provide the information.

Thanks,
Todd