Computer System Restored - Back to build Log

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Computer System Restored - Back to build Log

Post by ksatter26 »

My Bad: Read ahead in the Build Manual ... 2022 Version says on pg 98: "Your wing struts are pre-cut to length at the factory and are ready to install." The following pgs describe how to complete the struts by riveting the upper spar inserts into the 8' long lift strut tubes. Pg 100 actually says (step 3) TEMPORARILY install the lower lift strut bracket, no drilling at this time." Nowhere in the pgs following do I see a mention of cutting the lift strut tibes after trial fitting THEN riveting in the lower brackets. Naturally I had already riveted in the lower brackets because the struts were "pre-cut", so at wing attachment I found my lift struts to be much too long. Luckily too long is MUCH better than too short. I ordered a new set of upper inserts from Chris and will be ready to complete the wing attach process when they show up.
MyBad-Struts-too-Long.JPG
My Wing attachment and rigging mechanism includes my Harbor Freight Engine Hoist and two shop roller stands (on an old Ikea table).
PortTipSupport.JPG
PortRootAttach.JPG
PortRollerStands.JPG
The front and rear spar lift strut support brackets are temporarily attached to the spars at approximately 79.5" from the root using 2.4" spiral tubing clamps.
SparLiftStrutBrackets.JPG
With the nasty cold snap and North Texas Ice Storm, I move the instrument panel wiring work into my office. I managed to get just about everything wired and today (warmer) I remounted the panel and started making connections to the engine sensors (CHT & EGT, the battery, and starter. The fold down mechanism and support is paying off.
FinalPanelMount.JPG
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Computer System Restored - Back to build Log

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Ha! Your experience with the "Read ahead" in the manual reminds me of a Bill Cosby comedy record my parents had many decades ago named "Why is there air?". One of his jokes was about the location of speed bump signs and how they are typically right before the speed bump, so close that by the time you read the first word, you hit the bump, way past too late to slow down. He joked that it would be better if the speed bump sign was after the speed bump, you know, BUMP, You've just hit a speed bump. Oh, thank you very much! Seems like the instructions are similar to that. Hey did Chris include a "Read the entire manual before starting your build" clause? Well, glad you have it worked out with him, and you'll have the needed parts here soon. You know I, and I’m sure others that read your build log will be using that fold down instrument panel idea! Brilliant. Looking really nice Kurt. I envy you and Tracy on the FB group for having your kits. I still have at least another five or more months to go.

Todd