Instrument Panel Powered up

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Instrument Panel Powered up

Post by ksatter26 »

Looks pretty good ...still waiting on the lift strut inserts to get back on the port wing. Also waiting on the Polini Prop nut. Running out of little things to do. I might get crazy and look into mounting the cowl & windscreen.

IMG_0783.JPG
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Instrument Panel Powered up

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:57 pm Looks pretty good ...still waiting on the lift strut inserts to get back on the port wing. Also waiting on the Polini Prop nut. Running out of little things to do. I might get crazy and look into mounting the cowl & windscreen.
IMG_0783.JPG
Looks pretty good is an understatement. That looks great! There's almost enough room by the look of it to have two iPads vertical side by side?
ksatter26

Panel comments

Post by ksatter26 »

Temps up to low-mid 60s today. Part of the problem with the cold weather earlier this week is that I think of possible upgrades and have to remind myself that this is to be a 254 pound project.

Latest thought was to add a battery charging circuit ... probably nix that one. Looking at the panel, I'll probsbly mount the iPad mini vertically ... I have the space. My original thought was with the horizontal mount I'd use a split screen for the iFlyGPS app and a separate compass app. The displays are then pretty small so I'll think I'll use the std vertical orientation and can use the smaller compass display on the moving map ... I can switch apps if necessary.

It's difficult to see but the multi-function instrument is displaying the 540' ground elevation of my shop/hangarand the barometric pressure(29.98); the small VOM is displaying 12.7 volts, and the fuel gauge displays empty.

Yes, thanks, i'm jazzed about how the panel turned out. I just may put in the cushions, climb in and do some imaginary flying ...
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Panel comments

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:17 pm Temps up to low-mid 60s today. Part of the problem with the cold weather earlier this week is that I think of possible upgrades and have to remind myself that this is to be a 254 pound project.

Latest thought was to add a battery charging circuit ... probably nix that one. Looking at the panel, I'll probsbly mount the iPad mini vertically ... I have the space. My original thought was with the horizontal mount I'd use a split screen for the iFlyGPS app and a separate compass app. The displays are then pretty small so I'll think I'll use the std vertical orientation and can use the smaller compass display on the moving map ... I can switch apps if necessary.

It's difficult to see but the multi-function instrument is displaying the 540' ground elevation of my shop/hangarand the barometric pressure(29.98); the small VOM is displaying 12.7 volts, and the fuel gauge displays empty.

Yes, thanks, i'm jazzed about how the panel turned out. I just may put in the cushions, climb in and do some imaginary flying ...
I think I've already gone over the 254, but I have plans on putting in a 15Lbs Mag Chute for any just in case moments. Since the FAA gives 25Lbs (I think that's it or it might be just 20Lbs) for the chute, that provides an extra 5 or 10 for other toys and goodies.

I wonder if one of those small generators from a bicycle would work? Not so much to actually do a full charge but to provide some extension of charge if needed, so the battery doesn't drain quite so fast? Just thinking out loud on this one. The flexibility of having one or more tablets for in flight use is really nice. Plus since our planes are certified aircraft, those tablets don't cost 10 times as much!

I didn't take that close a look at the gauges, just that they were on and looked great. Made me laugh on the imaginary flying. Peer commented once before he got his engine on about climbing in and making vroom vroom sounds. Once again, envy as I have to imagine everything since I don't even have a plane to climb into! :lol: