Where can you fly in an Ultralight?

Here you’ll find URL Links to Chris Deuel's video posts on Instagram, educational, tutorial, pictures, and links to videos across the Internet that are flight based. Feel free to add links of such activities you find and share with others. Note that non-flight based links will most likely be removed except under special circumstances. Discussion reply posts are encouraged.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Where can you fly in an Ultralight?

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Where can you fly in an Ultralight? - With proper planning, just about anywhere you want.

Over in the engines forum we're talking about 4 strokes, 2 strokes, the good the bad...and a bunch of other stuff. Polini engines are in the mix and this article provides some nice information to help decide which engine best fits your needs.

https://jameswiebe.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... er-except/
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Where can you fly in an Ultralight?

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

And it always helps to have a chase vehicle! Very cool video.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

I was surprised when he found his starter wouldn't engage that he decided to try and fix it. Know I don't know how the starter engages with the engine he had, but hand propping and carrying on made more sense to me. There was nothing wrong with the engine, and it possibly could have been damaged messing with trying to fix a component that isn't used much.

If the engine fails in flight, a working starter isn't going to do much good.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Just watched this video again, and I see why he had to fix the starter. It looks to be a polini, so it likely has the centrifugal clutch on it. No chance of hand propping, unfortunately!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:21 pm Just watched this video again, and I see why he had to fix the starter. It looks to be a polini, so it likely has the centrifugal clutch on it. No chance of hand propping, unfortunately!
I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. Can the Polini have the pull start and electric at the same time?
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Good question! I thought they had an option for both pull and electric start for at least one of their models. I was actually looking for an interior shot of his plane to look for a pull handle, but nothing popped up in this video. And I don't see a handle coming out of the cowling anywhere.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

I saw something cool on today's Trent Palmer post. I saw the cut out of the plastic to allow the wing to slide in. I understand why it's there but also thought, that's a place for cold air and possibly water! Then, today seeing Trent's latest video, there was a KitFox with a cover that looks perfect for Badland aircraft. Of course the cover would need to be made smaller, but the concept is pretty cool, or at least I thought so. Check it out at 11:44.