51% rule

Ultralight pilots talk a great deal about Part 103. So what is Part 103? The FAA regulates all aircraft, creating and enforcing the requirements for them and for pilots. FAR stands for Federal Aviation Regulations. Part 103 is the section that governs ultralights. The good is that the FAA has set minimal regulations for ultralights. This is good, and at the same time bad. To keep from having to be greatly involved in ultralights, the regulations are very short and to the point. That the good. The bad is that those regulations set some less than desirable limitations on ultralights. You'll find help in understanding what those limitations and minimal regulations are in this Forum.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

John Fisher

51% rule

Post by John Fisher »

Not sure where to put this question but here is as good as any.
I'm looking to import the Badland kit into Canada, as a kit it needs to comply with the 51% rule, Transport Canada uses the FAA list as see below

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ult ... isting.pdf

I don't see Badland on this list have I missed it or does the list not include Badlad yet. Or am I reading this rule wrong.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: 51% rule

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hi John. I wonder if the Badland kits fall under a different category than the kits mentioned on the list. (I'm not sure how Canada might classify them.)
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

John, I agree with Peer. For the US the kits are 51% for sure. Let me see if I can get Chris to chime in on this for you.

Todd
Badland1

Post by Badland1 »

Our kits do meet the 51% rule but we have not yet requested the FAA to evaluate our kit yet. Check out the 2 PDF attachments for more info. :D

Per the REVISED LISTING OF AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT KITS - "There are other aircraft kits that may allow a builder to meet the “major portion” requirement of § 21.191(g), but those manufacturers or distributors have not requested an FAA evaluation. "
Attachments
AmBuiltFabAssyCklistFW.pdf
(445.2 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
AmBuiltFabAssyCklistFW (1).pdf
(445.2 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

John Fisher wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:09 pm Not sure where to put this question but here is as good as any.
I'm looking to import the Badland kit into Canada, as a kit it needs to comply with the 51% rule, Transport Canada uses the FAA list as see below

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ult ... isting.pdf

I don't see Badland on this list have I missed it or does the list not include Badlad yet. Or am I reading this rule wrong.
So John, based on what Chris said in his response, is it a requirement in Canada for the builder to be on the list and a kit meet the 51% rule?

I'm asking because many times when talking about ultralights in the US, everything thinks that means a Part 103 ultralight. When actually, a kit built experimental can be an ultralight that goes over Part 103 weight. The kit must meet the 51% rule and be certified, where the Part 103 (in the US) does not and is limited on weight. I've seen several Canadian ultralight pilots with registered aircraft and two seats, which us poor Part 103 ultralight pilots don't have the pleasure of having here in the states. I'm interested in the requirements in Canada for an ultralight pilot and aircraft.

Todd