New Lift Strut Inserts PROBLEM

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

New Lift Strut Inserts PROBLEM

Post by ksatter26 »

I got my new replacement lift strut inserts yesterday (also my 10-32 rivnuts via Amazon). I noted that they were of a new design but though that they should work as well as the originals. Bright and early this morning I went out to the hangar/shop and much to my dismay found that the new inserts will not accept the threaded rod end bearings. The shaft of the bearing go in less than a quarter of a turn before they seriously bind. I called and sent an email to Chris. I hope it is a simple fix. I'm hesitant to just tap-out the inserts without the OK from Chris. Otherwise it might mean another 5 week wait for replacement-replacemnt inserts. Bummer!

Slide1.JPG
ksatter26

Re: New Lift Strut Inserts PROBLEM ... coarse vs fine thread

Post by ksatter26 »

Appears that the new/replacement lift strut inserts have a coarse 5/16" thread and the AN5 rod end bearings provided are fine thread. No reply from Chris as yet.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: New Lift Strut Inserts PROBLEM ... coarse vs fine thread

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:05 pm Appears that the new/replacement lift strut inserts have a coarse 5/16" thread and the AN5 rod end bearings provided are fine thread. No reply from Chris as yet.
Hopefully tapping them will be a non-issue. Waiting for an approval to do so from Chris is smart. There's no room for mickey rigging or alterations when it comes to our butts in the air!
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: New Lift Strut Inserts PROBLEM

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I'm not sure what I would do in this situation. Let us know what Chris says.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Posted that Chris is livid with his supplier. Seem that the supplier delivered ALL of the last inserts with coarse threads even those for the elevator (without the left-handed end).

I hope i don't have to wait another 5 weeka.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Wow now that's someone at his suppliers shop not properly reading the spec sheet for the part. Finding suppliers that deliver what was ordered is always fun, just ask Boeing and Airbus. We'll I hope you do get the replacement pieces quickly. In the meantime I suppose there are other little things to take care of.