Polini 303

This forum contains builder discussion topics. These are topics where members can post messages to the builders. These topics will stay at the top of the Badland Builds forum topics for easy access.

Members are encouraged to subscribe to builders they wish to follow. To subscribe, go into the Badlands Builds forum, scroll down to Topics. Select the topic of the builder you wish to follow. Click on the wrench at the top of the message (right next to the Post Reply). Click on the Subscribe Topic. From then on an email notice will be sent when a post is made in that builder's discussion log topic. Builders are encouraged to subscribe to their own discussion topic so they will be notified when someone leaves a post for them.

At the very top of the Badlands Builds forum are the builders sub-forums. Builders are the only ones allowed to post in their own sub-forum (remember this is a log for them and others to follow, not a discussion area) - that's what the builder discussion topics are for.

Builders - submit a request using the comment, private message, or email to request a builder sub-forum. If we become aware of a build, in most cases we'll automatically create a builders log for the builder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Mountain Cat

Polini 303

Post by Mountain Cat »

Anybody happen to have a real picture of the way the Polini alum ring mounts to the engine mount/engine? It appears that the holes are all too big. Looking at the diagram, really doesn't give enough detail. Sitting here in the floor scratching my head trying to figure it out. Thanks Allen
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Polini 303

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Mountain Cat wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:54 pm Anybody happen to have a real picture of the way the Polini alum ring mounts to the engine mount/engine? It appears that the holes are all too big. Looking at the diagram, really doesn't give enough detail. Sitting here in the floor scratching my head trying to figure it out. Thanks Allen
You might want to check with Chris at Badland Aircraft. I'm wondering if you're running into the same issue as Kurt did. The engine mount sent was wrong and Chris had to get with Polini to send a correct one to Kurt. Here are two links to Kurt's issue. Not sure, but they may be the same thing you're having trouble with.

viewtopic.php?t=152

viewtopic.php?t=166

I hope that helps.

Todd
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Sounds like the same issue. Getting in touch with Chris. Thanks, Allen
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:35 pm Sounds like the same issue. Getting in touch with Chris. Thanks, Allen
Glad to help. That's what we're here for. Please let us know if that's the issue Allen or if this is something new.

Thanks,
Todd
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Got an E-mail from Chris, he is sending a new one along with my engine. I'll send him the one I've got. My (former) SkyRaider is now renamed The Mountain Cat, which is the great granddaddy to the Badlands. Chris's engine mount bolted right on my fuselage. Only difference is the Cat has separate flaps and ailerons.
Attachments
IMG_0578.JPG
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:49 pm Got an E-mail from Chris, he is sending a new one along with my engine. I'll send him the one I've got. My (former) SkyRaider is now renamed The Mountain Cat, which is the great granddaddy to the Badlands. Chris's engine mount bolted right on my fuselage. The only difference is the Cat has separate flaps and ailerons.
Excellent! Are you getting a 303? This is great information too as I'm not a big fan of the Badland> prior Belite> prior KitFox bubble cowl. Looking at the SkyRaider, I like the smooth cowl much more. I've chatted with Kent a few times about modifying the existing cowl. He made a few suggestions. I can see removing the bubbles on the existing cowl and make some other modifications much easier than creating an entirely new cowl.

The history is difficult to follow, but this is the best I could find.

SkyRaider S/S Ultralight (1980's to ????)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide ... raider_S/S

KitFox Lite (built by SkyStar) Unknown production run dates
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denney_Kitfox

Belite Aircraft Superlight (2009 to 2019)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belite_Aircraft_Superlite

Badland Aircraft (F series, formed in 2016, production is sometime after Belite's fire and sale of the jigs to Badland Aircraft)

There's certainly some history for this plane and the design.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

First, a cowl isn't hard to make. second, with some cheap foam and auto store fiberglass and resin, you can make it any shape you want. There is a company making SkyRaider cowls on the SR/RR facebook group. The Badland is basically a SR 1 or a RR 1. Designed by Ken and Stace Schrader who both worked for Kitfox and Avid Aircraft. Kitfox and Avid used flaperons and SR/RR used separate flaps and ailerons. Won't get into the merits of each since they both have pro's and con's. Chris has done a few upgrades to the Badland and its probably a lighter, stronger airframe due to expertise. As far as the Poline 303, I asked Chris if 38 hp was enough and he said "plenty". I do like water cooled engines because of easier cooling compared to air cooled. Plus the 1.5 gph is a plus. The 400 hr TBO isn't a deal breaker for me since that's approx 8-10 yrs of flying for most of us. By then, I'll be lucky to remember what the pushy/pully thing is for. Most of the Hirth series is now single ignition and not worth the price and 2 1/2 months wait. The Polini engines are highly engineered racing engines and recently redone for the american market and fuels. So we now have a reliable ultralight engine that is available. The PPG guys have been using them for several years. I was concerned about 8000-8400 RPM but I've seen the motorcycles run 10,000 plus RPM for hours on end with the Polini. So, I guess I'll find out!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:18 pm First, a cowl isn't hard to make. second, with some cheap foam and auto store fiberglass and resin, you can make it any shape you want. There is a company making SkyRaider cowls on the SR/RR facebook group.
Haha, that's easy to say if you've done it or seen someone do it. I've seen a bunch of YT video's on making them, but would prefer to have something to start with. I guess what I was also saying is that seeing the SkyRaider's cowl gave me some ideas for modification. Seeing a different version of a cowl, different while still similar to the Badland cowl helped to mentally see more possibilities.
Mountain Cat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:18 pm As far as the Poline 303, I asked Chris if 38 hp was enough and he said "plenty". I do like water cooled engines because of easier cooling compared to air cooled.
I would love to have a water cooled engine. That is something I really like about the Polini's. The possibility of thermal shock is almost nonexistent. I would also love to have a 4 stroke, but that and light weight aren't easy to make happen.
Mountain Cat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:18 pm The 400 hr TBO isn't a deal breaker for me since that's approx 8-10 yrs of flying for most of us. By then, I'll be lucky to remember what the pushy/pully thing is for.
Now that had me laughing. Not sure if I was laughing because it was just funny or because I realize I'm not far from that point!
Mountain Cat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:18 pm Most of the Hirth series is now single ignition and not worth the price and 2 1/2 months wait.
Yes, I wouldn't fly with a single ignition. The F-23 has dual ignition. I really like the design and also the slower RPM operation.
Mountain Cat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:18 pm The Polini engines are highly engineered racing engines and recently redone for the american market and fuels. So we now have a reliable ultralight engine that is available. The PPG guys have been using them for several years. I was concerned about 8000-8400 RPM but I've seen the motorcycles run 10,000 plus RPM for hours on end with the Polini. So, I guess I'll find out!
Yes, it's pretty easy to spot the engine on a PPG rig. The Vittorazi is another quality engine and easy to recognize. For certain, you have to have confidence in the engine you've chosen. With Chris's YT video's, one of them when he was at Oshkosh I think last year he was taking off an F-3, the plane jumped off the ground and the rate of climb was pretty amazing to watch.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Aircraft engines are kind of like wives, if you don't trust them, then not much use to you. You have to be able to trust them completely. Engines or wives.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:55 pm Aircraft engines are kind of like wives, if you don't trust them, then not much use to you. You have to be able to trust them completely. Engines or wives.
I freaking love that! Maybe that's why I never got married? :lol:
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Now you have a good excuse!
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I'm just noticing the trim tab on your elevator. Very cool. Is it adjustable from in-cockpit or only on the ground? Either way, a nice touch.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

It is adjustable from the pilots seat. Via a long lawnmower throttle cable. But with a 5 gal fuselage tank, the CG will not change much. Once it is flying and set for hands off flying, you can use a turnbuckle to hold the tab in place and remove the adjustable one, saving weight. Tip: don't worry about adding pounds, worry about adding ounces, pounds take care of themselves. One would not believe the difference between flying a light bird compared to flying a heavier one.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Got the 303 today. Sweet little engine.
Attachments
IMG_0583.JPG
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:42 pm Got the 303 today. Sweet little engine.
Wow, looks a lot more compact than the other pictures I've seen. They had no background to compare to so that makes sense. I really like the water cooled.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Being water cooled is more complex than air cooled. But being water cooled solves a lot of heating issues and avoids the usual shock cooling of the cyl.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:33 pm Being water cooled is more complex than air cooled. But being water cooled solves a lot of heating issues and avoids the usual shock cooling of the cyl.
Plus it's a little added weight but well worth the benefits. The shock cooling is what I was reading about and the damage that it can cause to the cylinder, piston, or both.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Looking a little better, slow but sure.
Attachments
IMG_0584.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

A very good looking plane for sure! Love it.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Thanks!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:33 pm Looking a little better, slow but sure.
Amazing how it looks with the wings unfolded. Brings the blue/white out really nicely. Sweet!
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

It's amazing how a paint job can make or break an aircraft. The best aircraft in the world with a bad paint job just doesn't cut it.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

And then there's just ugly - :lol:
2023-03-31_10-37-33.gif