Port List Strut Trial Fit

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Port List Strut Trial Fit

Post by ksatter26 »

Position, mark, trim ... REPEAT, but darn close on the installation of the port wing lift strut.

(1) For the umpteenth time ... check sweep, dihedral, and washout.

(2) Slide fwd and aft inserts into the strut legs (supported by string around the spars).

(3) slip the lower strut rod end into the fuselage mounting tabs and secure with AN7 bolt

(4) Position the upper rod ends as close as possible to the AN5 bolt holes in the upper spar mounts ... note how much the strut legs need to be trimmed.

(5) Remove the inserts and the strut assembly from the fuselage

(6) Trim (I use an angle grinder followed by a god hand file to deburr/cleanup the ends.

(7) I don't have a 7/8" reamer so I use a 7/8" bit to carefully cleanout the inside of the strut leg ... then vacuum the interior and wipe down with acetone.

REPEAT steps 2-7 until the rod end bearings match the spar support brackets. (For me it was 4 times ... assuring I wouldn't OVER trim).

The mount is still temporary as I have yet to drill, rivet and epoxy in the inserts.

IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG

The upper spar mounts are currently held in place with 2.75" hose clamps. Prior to final assembly I will:

(1) drill several of the numerous #30 (1/8") rivet holes (for positioning)

(2) remove the mounts

(3) clean the spar (scotch-brite and acetone)

(4) apply Hysol epoxy

(5) cleco in position

(6) rivet in place.

At my mark (at 42.25" from each spar root) I used double-sided tape to position the (new design) upper jury strut mounts and used a plum-bob to mark the positioning of the jury strut clamps on the lift strut legs. The fun and games of reworking and re fabricating the jury strut legs will follow.

Drawing1.jpg

So once the lift strut inserts problem was solved lots of things can get done.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Port List Strut Trial Fit

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

It's looking good! Yep, as I recall this was probably the most involved part of the build, with a LOT of fitting, removing, trimming, REfitting, wash, rinse and repeat! It looks like you are making some good progress!