F2 Build

This forum contains builder discussion topics. These are topics where members can post messages to the builders. These topics will stay at the top of the Badland Builds forum topics for easy access.

Members are encouraged to subscribe to builders they wish to follow. To subscribe, go into the Badlands Builds forum, scroll down to Topics. Select the topic of the builder you wish to follow. Click on the wrench at the top of the message (right next to the Post Reply). Click on the Subscribe Topic. From then on an email notice will be sent when a post is made in that builder's discussion log topic. Builders are encouraged to subscribe to their own discussion topic so they will be notified when someone leaves a post for them.

At the very top of the Badlands Builds forum are the builders sub-forums. Builders are the only ones allowed to post in their own sub-forum (remember this is a log for them and others to follow, not a discussion area) - that's what the builder discussion topics are for.

Builders - submit a request using the comment, private message, or email to request a builder sub-forum. If we become aware of a build, in most cases we'll automatically create a builders log for the builder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

KSXKflight5

F2 Build

Post by KSXKflight5 »

Build completed and awaiting the right weather for that first flight.

So, life is busy. Here I am finally ready to embark on that first flight. I am roughly a year behind on when I originally thought I would be taking my F2 to the skies. Build progress was slowed by other things in life and family, but here we are.

A short summary of the story. Came across Badland Aircraft around August of 2019. I was looking for an ultralight design that looked like an actual airplane and had a legit structure around the cockpit (sorry, legs dangling in the breeze is not for me). Kit ordered in January of 2020 standing in the driveway of Badland aircraft. I picked up my kit on November 5, 2020.

I had all the intent in the world to be flying Spring of 2022. At first, I was very much on track. However, life is busy. Other things took my time and attention. However, here we are spring of 2023. I satisfactorily completed taxi tests last night, and am awaiting the right weather to go fly. Maybe next week.

I made some changes to my build along the way. I also learned many things. From my original plans I have….
Changed from planning a Polini 250DS to a 303DS
Due to a firm belief of part 103 I have removed the electric start, starter relay, the lead acid battery for a smaller lithium battery, traded in my mechanical airspeed indicator for a lighter electronic one (gained an altimeter and vertical speed in the process), decided on a smaller main gear tire than originally hoped for, kept to 160mm brake rotors, fabricated an aluminum fuel tank that is lighter than oem plastic tank, changed my axle shafts to 7075T6 aluminum shafts, found a 4 point harness with a lighter automotive style buckle than the rotary buckle I originally had, and of course had great support from Badland whenever my planning was unable to create a solution. I had to compromise on a few things due to all that weight in paint 🤠. I have never learned so much about paint and finish. I used Stewarts Systems for my covering. I also did some major alterations to the cowling for those last 2 pounds. All told, we are 254 pounds for part 103 compliance.

Those of you who frequent OSH might recall seeing my fuse in 2021. I will post a few pics here shortly.

Lane
Attachments
9D8B22CF-B24D-48BF-A6D2-4BCA7D3970B1.jpeg
KSXKflight5

Re: F2 Build

Post by KSXKflight5 »

More pics
Attachments
4C619C42-BAF4-4E9D-B19A-0548FC420773.jpeg
FF9C28D6-5DE9-4B3F-B152-B85044D06E48.jpeg
23D40DC8-231A-4BC2-AAA3-36C0DD849A71.jpeg
AE8D83F3-4E6C-4A12-97FA-6D2318D04117.jpeg
43F98C91-F43D-4A94-BA84-C9E0899E6D4B.jpeg
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Congrats!! Extremely nice bird!! One to be proud of. Glad you made Pt 103 without too much trouble.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

KSXKflight5 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:10 amMore pics
Welcome Lane. I did see your plane in the pictures posted from Chris's display. Love the paint scheme. Simply amazing look. Awesome you made Part 103. Ah, just one more to be envious of while I wait for my kit to be built. 🥺 Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to hearing of your adventures/flights and learning how you solved issues. In the picture on the runway, where are you flying out of?

Todd
KSXKflight5

Post by KSXKflight5 »

Todd,
That pic is of runway 17 during taxi tests at KSXK. It’s my home airport & where I work daily.

Lane
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

KSXKflight5 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:59 pm Todd,
That pic is of runway 17 during taxi tests at KSXK. It’s my home airport & where I work daily.

Lane
Very nice. It must be great working at an airfield. I'm sure you've seen some awesome aircraft. I'm hoping to buy some property when I move to Florida later this year. Hopefully enough to have my own grass strip. If not, I've found a nice little airport (42J), Keystone Heights that I hope to find a home near. There seams to be a lot of ultralights in the area. It should be a nice area to fly out of.

Thanks,
Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Welcome Lane! So YOU'RE the owner of that pretty bird! I do recall seeing it in one of the Osh videos online, and being really impressed with the color scheme. Love it.

Keep us posted as to how the taxi tests go, and what the first flight is like. We would also love to hear your opinion on the flight characteristics when the time comes!
Bruce_L

Post by Bruce_L »

What a great accomplishmernt. 254 pounds complete with the 303, and all the additional weight of the cooling system.
I lreally like the picture of the folded wings inside your trailer. Hope you post more pictures soon.
KSXKflight5

Post by KSXKflight5 »

Today was the day. Winds Vrb @ 5 and 72 degrees air temperature. 4 landings total today and about an hour total time on the airplane. What a reward for all the work put in to build the aircraft.

Only issues, a small coolant leak. All told the flight was predictable. I am excited to explore the flight envelope more. For today I did not fly slower than 38 knots (other than TOALs) or exceed 30 degrees of bank, or fly level at max power. BUT I did fully prove directional control with no flaps, flaps first notch, and flaps second notch. More testing to come.

Lane
Attachments
0B8629A4-6E1F-4A53-961F-B2342CBA2F2A.jpeg
4A26C3AB-1C4B-4092-8998-38108D00B845.jpeg
78EE3A90-11F0-420E-878D-E88604643970.jpeg
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

KSXKflight5 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:20 pm Today was the day. Winds Vrb @ 5 and 72 degrees air temperature. 4 landings total today and about an hour total time on the airplane. What a reward for all the work put in to build the aircraft.

Only issues, a small coolant leak. All told the flight was predictable. I am excited to explore the flight envelope more. For today I did not fly slower than 38 knots (other than TOALs) or exceed 30 degrees of bank, or fly level at max power. BUT I did fully prove directional control with no flaps, flaps first notch, and flaps second notch. More testing to come.

Lane
CONGRATULATIONS Lane!

So awesome to hear, and excellent on the very successful testing process!

On those landings, where they two or three point touch does? I'm guessing by the speed they were two, but asking to clarify.

Really impressive. 👍

Todd
KSXKflight5

Post by KSXKflight5 »

Todd,
I prefer wheel landings (or two point). As I become more proficient I will work with 3 point as well. I followed the same process with my RV-4. Gradually adding more and more to my skill set.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

KSXKflight5 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:06 am Todd,
I prefer wheel landings (or two point). As I become more proficient I will work with 3 point as well. I followed the same process with my RV-4. Gradually adding more and more to my skill set.
I'm also going to have to take it slow on landings. I've only ever flown a Cessna 152 and 182. Once I get to Florida, I plan on going to Holladay Aviation flight training (https://www.holladayaviation.com/traini ... ransition/). They are one of the few that still offer Ultralight training, and they also train in a Cub for tail wheel landings. I'd be foolish to say that I'm not a bit on the nerves about ground loops. I do plan on doing some off field back country landings, so the skill is needed.

Thanks,
Todd
Bruce_L

Post by Bruce_L »

Sounds to me like all the hard work really paid off. Good motivation for all of us who are much earlier in our builds. When/where can we see a video? Your plane looks great on the taxiway.
KSXKflight5

Post by KSXKflight5 »

Thanks Bruce. I am going to put some video out there in due time. I will post to the Multimedia folder when I do so.

Also, 2 of pictures from yesterday didn't post well. Here is another attempt from my computer instead of mobile.

LM
Attachments
IMG_8528.JPG
IMG_8502.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Congrats! I saw a brief video on FB. So awesome! And it makes me even more excited for my next round of flight instruction this Saturday. Looking forward to more flight videos from you!
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Wow! Great work. I'm shooting for late summer/early fall. Making the weight will be tough ... same problem with my MiniMAX 1103R.

Looks really good.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

KSXKflight5 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:01 pm Thanks Bruce. I am going to put some video out there in due time. I will post to the Multimedia folder when I do so.

Also, 2 of pictures from yesterday didn't post well. Here is another attempt from my computer instead of mobile.

LM
That really is a very nice looking plane, and great to see it in the air. As Bruce mentioned, it's good motivation for us all to make progress on our plans to one day fly. Looking forward to those future flight videos.

Todd