Ballistic Parachute

This forum contains builder discussion topics. These are topics where members can post messages to the builders. These topics will stay at the top of the Badland Builds forum topics for easy access.

Members are encouraged to subscribe to builders they wish to follow. To subscribe, go into the Badlands Builds forum, scroll down to Topics. Select the topic of the builder you wish to follow. Click on the wrench at the top of the message (right next to the Post Reply). Click on the Subscribe Topic. From then on an email notice will be sent when a post is made in that builder's discussion log topic. Builders are encouraged to subscribe to their own discussion topic so they will be notified when someone leaves a post for them.

At the very top of the Badlands Builds forum are the builders sub-forums. Builders are the only ones allowed to post in their own sub-forum (remember this is a log for them and others to follow, not a discussion area) - that's what the builder discussion topics are for.

Builders - submit a request using the comment, private message, or email to request a builder sub-forum. If we become aware of a build, in most cases we'll automatically create a builders log for the builder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

broughtonkicks

Ballistic Parachute

Post by broughtonkicks »

Greeting All! I will be picking up my F3 Speed RTF next month. I am considering adding doors for cold weather flying...however a set of doors weighs 6 lbs., which pushes the plane over the 254 lbs limit. Therefore, I am also considering adding a parachute in order to get the additional weight allowance while complying with Part 103. Has anyone installed a BRS on their Badland Aircraft? If so, where did you install it? What are your thoughts? Thanks for the insight!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Ballistic Parachute

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

broughtonkicks wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:55 am Greeting All! I will be picking up my F3 Speed RTF next month. I am considering adding doors for cold weather flying...however a set of doors weighs 6 lbs., which pushes the plane over the 254 lbs limit. Therefore, I am also considering adding a parachute in order to get the additional weight allowance while complying with Part 103. Has anyone installed a BRS on their Badland Aircraft? If so, where did you install it? What are your thoughts? Thanks for the insight!
Welcome – I don't have my kit yet, but I'm also planning on getting a BRS to gain some wiggle room for doors and other toys I can squeeze in. The best weight I've seen for a chute is from Magnum Parachutes. They have a chute named the 660 Softpack. It is still a rock lunched chute but comes in at only 15Lbs. Based on our Badland aircraft, it'll easily handle the plane. Remember too, that anything that can be removed and is not needed for flight counts as cargo. As long a flyable plane is below the 254Lbs mark, you're good to go. For this reason, my tablet, radios, GPS, ADS-B, and more will be all removable and not necessary for flight. I'll have some basic steam gauges and that's about it for regulatory purposes. Oh and one of the other things I really like about Magnum is that they send a loaner chute when it comes time to send yours in for inspection and repack.

https://www.uflyit.com/Magnum%20Parachutes%202.htm

Todd
broughtonkicks

Post by broughtonkicks »

Thanks for the reminder (and clarification) Todd ref. "removeable" doors, etc.
I looked at the Comelli BRS that was mentioned in another post; it only weighs 11 lbs, but I don't know about getting a loaner while it is being repacked.
Thanks again!

~Barry
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

broughtonkicks wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:16 pm Thanks for the reminder (and clarification) Todd ref. "removeable" doors, etc.
I looked at the Comelli BRS that was mentioned in another post; it only weighs 11 lbs, but I don't know about getting a loaner while it is being repacked.
Thanks again!

~Barry
Hey every ounce counts, right? The re-packing I think could be arranged during the time of the year when clear skies don't come too often. That would certainly negate the loaner chute. I'm about to retire and will be heading to Florida, so flying is pretty much year round. Of course August wouldn't be a bad time to take some time off since it's pretty hot. I plan on flying at some altitude, so a chute is pretty much a must for me. I've pretty much settled on the Hirth F-23 for an engine. That should easily give me the HP, and hopefully the F5's 28Lbs lighter frame will give me the weight saves to install the F-23. Even then, Peer's F2 came in way under weight. Chris builds some real ultralight ultralights! I'm also looking at SC2 carburetors for the F-23. These seem to be amazing carbs that auto adjust for altitude and temperature! Plus they show up to 30% less fuel consumption and 15% more HP. Check them out here: https://smartcarbfuelsystems.com/ and do a search on YouTube for SC2 Carbs. There are plenty of reviews and I haven't found one negative. The only question is, there are only a few ultralights that have used them, so how well will they work on an F-23 engine?

Lots of adventures coming in the future once I get my kit. Hopefully that'll happen in the latter part of this year. I envy you getting your plane soon, and Kurt as he builds his. He's doing a great job of showing his build. Are you buying a kit or is Chris building for you?

Todd