Flaperon control cables routing

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Flaperon control cables routing

Post by ksatter26 »

Change of pace ...

Checking the routing of the flaperon control cables from the elevator actuator arm aft of the pilot seat to the flaperon control arm molnted to the flaperon spars. Generally looking to see where the cables should be located to pass thru the Badland (butt) rib and #1 wing rib such that there is no binding .

I did secure the cables to the frame near the point where they exit under the seat and start the looping curves up to the wings.

IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG

The above picture also shows the quick release drain fitting from the bottom of the fuel tank. As part of my "Fly Kit" I have a short length of quick connect/disconnect tubing.

The routings seem to look good with no binding and the wings fold well.

IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG

Also it looks like I'll be doing some serious trimming of thee nose portion of the bubble cowl to get prop clearance.

IMG_0890.JPG
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Flaperon control cables routing

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Looking really good Kurt. Actually really really good. I think you mentioned you're using an E-prop? I wonder if they have an extension for the prop instead of having to trim the cowl. I think I'm going the same route as you and Peer and going to order the fiberglass cowl from Chris, then modify as needed. Peer and I have been talking about the Carbon Cub look by building some intakes on each side of the cowl and getting rid of the bumps. I'm also thinking it would be nice to push the prop out a bit from the front of the engine to get a little slope down to the prop off the cowl. Plus I really want a spinner on the front, just for show. :D

Your pictures are great, and I'm still surprised at how fast you're moving on this build. Great job buddy.

Todd
ksatter26

E-prop and bubble cowl comments

Post by ksatter26 »

Being retired and having space are definitely a big help in my build progress. Some early delays due to cold weather and some parts problems, but I try to do at least a couple of hours a day.

The cowl picture is with a really rough trial fitting. I'll try to get some closeup pictures of what's going on between the engine profile and the un-trimmed cowl. But basically the exhaust plumbing on the starboard side fwd and the lower gear-case on the port side fwd are the problem areas. Cutting back these areas to make the cowl more resemble some of the pictures in the Badland website gallery may alleviate the problem of spacing between the prop and the cowl fwd ring.

I just haven't worked up the courage to do any trimming. I go out with that task foremost in my plans but wind-up working something else ... like the change-of-pace posting above.