Added cap strips to butt ribs

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Added cap strips to butt ribs

Post by ksatter26 »

The windscreen installation procedure calls for small screws thru the polycarbonate onto the 0.25" laminations of the "Badland" (butt) ribs over the top of the cockpit. To get a little more material for the fasteners, I epoxied in a length of 0.25" Spruce cap strip to the top inside of the ribs. Picture to follow.

I ordered a 30mm prop spacer ( to provide clearance for the prop from the front edge of the cowling). The extender is only 5 oz and is due via USPS by this weekend. I can then do a better job of positioning the cowl to mark for trimming.
ksatter26

Re: Added cap strips to butt ribs

Post by ksatter26 »

AS promised ... cap strip pictures ...

IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG

After sanding and painting ...

IMG_0923.JPG

Prop extender due via USPS tomorrow, so I once again clamped the cowl in rough position. the stb side exhaust piping and the electric starter motor on the fwd port side seem to be the worst offenders. Come Sunday with the extender in position I'll really have to bite the bullet and start trimming .. still a scary task.

IMG_0924.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Added cap strips to butt ribs

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Kurt, I like the cap strips on the butt rib. That should provide some nice "bite" for the mounting of the screen. Once thing you may need to do is lower the butt ribs once you are ready to affix the windscreen to reduce the gap between the plastic and the top of the wing. Typically the overlap of windscreen over the wing is a few millimeters, but with the cap strip you are likely going to end up with quite a bit more.

The other option might be to let the windscreen overhang the wing a bit more than originally intended (assuming you have the extra width on the material - is the windscreen precut these days? I had to cut my own out of a roll of the material). The extra overlap would likely help minimize drag at the joint, if you can make it work.