Miniplane 30mm Prop Extender

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Miniplane 30mm Prop Extender

Post by ksatter26 »

The Miniplane 30mm 8mmx6x75mm prop extender showed up this afternoon. Not quite as expected. I had to trim off the center post and drill out the center hole to 5/16" to fit over the Polini Prop Nut. The result looks good and is now slightly less than the 5 oz advertised. (Note: I have Nordlock washers under the heads of the Schedule 8, 3.5" x 8mm bolts from Tractor Supply Co.)

PropExtender.jpg
IMG_0926.JPG

I can now move onto findiing the proper location of the cowl and mark the "protrusions" for trimming.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Miniplane 30mm Prop Extender

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

That should give you plenty of gap between the blades and the cowl. Time to grit your teeth and start cutting?
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:55 pm The Miniplane 30mm 8mmx6x75mm prop extender showed up this afternoon. Not quite as expected. I had to trim off the center post and drill out the center hole to 5/16" to fit over the Polini Prop Nut. The result looks good and is now slightly less than the 5 oz advertised. (Note: I have Nordlock washers under the heads of the Schedule 8, 3.5" x 8mm bolts from Tractor Supply Co.)

PropExtender.jpg

IMG_0926.JPG

I can now move onto findiing the proper location of the cowl and mark the "protrusions" for trimming.
That looks surprisingly amazing. From the looks of the extension, that's going to give you a good amount of clearance to the cowl. Pretty nice.

Todd
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Thanks Todd ... looks like I'll be adding some fiberglass to the aft ends of the cowl in order to reach the fuselage mounting tabs. I'll try to document that process with pictures.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Sounds great. I've never worked with fiberglass but understand it's not difficult, just messy. One of the unfortunate issues with using two strokes is that big reduction unit. It makes tapering down to a nice spinner pretty much impossible. I'm thinking of using the prop extension in some way to allow a tapering down to the spinner. The other thing I'm looking at is a single muffler for the F-23. The engine comes with dual exhaust and mufflers. That seems like added weight to me. I've seen single muffler setups used on the engine, but Hirth does warn about changing the exhaust design. Either way I'd like to extend the sides of the cowl down towards the (hopefully single muffler), so more mods to the cowl. Seeing examples of modifying the fiberglass will certainly help.

Thanks,
Todd