Windscreen Work

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Windscreen Work

Post by ksatter26 »

Inserted #6 aluminum nutserts (rivnuts) into the L-angle that serves as the rear attachment for the windscreen at the back of the cabin area. Note: if you use #6 (small) nutserts, using the inexpensive (~$16 Harbor Freight) combination pop-riveter/rivnut squeezer, be very careful not to over squeeze the tool. The poor quality of the small #6 mandril is such that you'll probably break the threaded mandril and Harbor Freight does NOT sell/provide replacement mandrils. I'm currently using my 3rd tool (albeit on 4 projects). The tool does seem to be better with larger diameter nutserts.

IMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0937.JPG

I marked-up my windscreen material with center-lines that I would match with cente-rline on the airframe. Then clamped the material in place, at first using the center-line of the L=angle at the rear wand the center-line projected up from the firewall at the front

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

I found that the overlap of the butt ribs was rather asymmetrical (1.25" on the port side and only about 0.25" on the starboard). I was at a loss until I heard from Peer who said he made his alignments using a line between the centers of the forward spar cutouts. This seems to really help. I will still need to do a fair amount of trimming of the edges at the fwd portion of the cockpit (near the panel) to fit into the "trailing edge" mounting stock, but Peer says he had similar experience.

IMG_0934.JPG

I will also have do some trimming to the lower fwd area to match the curve of the cowling after the lower (mounting) sides of the cowling are extended with fiberglass. (I hope to further document that process as I get it done.)

IMG_0936.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Windscreen Work

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hi Kurt. I believe the edges of the windshield are cut wider on purpose. It allows you to set the preferred rake of the screen itself. Not everyone is going to purchase the round cowl for their build, so it provides some latitude.

It looks like you got it lined up really nicely along the wing ribs. It kind of makes me wish I had fit my windscreen prior to covering the wings, for that same symmetry. Looking good!