F2 builder in Los Angeles

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

F2 builder in Los Angeles

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hi there. My name is Peer. I currently live in Los Angeles with my wife Kelsey. Unlike most of the people I have met on this journey, I have no real history with airplanes to speak of. I spent my youth looking at the skies every time I heard an airplane engine overhead, or riding my bike to the local airport near Millbrook, New York. There I would lean against the fence in hopes that a local pilot might be taking off or landing, always too shy to actually enter the airport and strike up a conversation with any of the local flyers.

I built a lot of rubber powered airplanes, and eventually graduated to RC planes, but the hobby was short lived; I moved to Los Angeles and focused on my schooling. The dream never left me, however. I managed to scrape together a few bucks here and there, and take flying lessons in a Cessna 172 out of Van Nuys airport when I was in my early twenties. Lessons were few and far between, however, and life got in the way. The dream had to be shelved again.

It wasn't until recently, when I managed to pay off my house here in LA, that I decided to reward myself by buying a kit ultralight. I had realized that the Ultralight community was experiencing a resurgence of sorts, and it seemed like the practical way to go. I needed something relatively inexpensive, that didn't require an annual inspection or expensive engine rebuilds, and that could fit in my garage. I stumbled across the Badland website, and decided that was the UL for me. It checked all of the boxes: folding wings, high wing design, tail-dragger...basically bush-plane styling (and possibly capabilities, in the right hands).

I'm now closing in on the finish line with my build, but it doesn't end there. Flight lessons will have to resume, and I need to also build a trailer. So it may be some time before I'm in the air. In the meantime, I continue to tinker on the (nearly completed) plane in the garage, dreaming of the day I first run the engine, first taxi, first take off.

Until those times come, I'll be quenching my thirst for flight with online flight instruction, online videos, and, of course, this forum.

Hope to see you all in the skies.
Airfiberoptics

Re: F2 builder in Los Angeles

Post by Airfiberoptics »

I live very close to LA, been thinking on pulling trigger on a badland, would love to see your progress.
my email is airfiberoptics@gmail.com can we get in contact?
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: F2 builder in Los Angeles

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Absolutely. I can actually PM you here on the site as well. Where near LA are you?