Trailer Conversion/Storage for Badland Aircraft

This forum is for general chat that doesn't fit into the other forums. Posts in other forums that should be here will be moved here. This forum is generally ultralight aviation oriented, but other subjects may be posted. Just remember the rules, especially the first one - be nice. If you can't be nice, don't post. It's that simple. Of course the best way to support your opinion is to post with references, not just "I heard" or "I was told so that's the way it is...". Inaccurate information abounds today, let's try and not have it here. Enjoy the forum and general discussions.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

broughtonkicks

Trailer Conversion/Storage for Badland Aircraft

Post by broughtonkicks »

Knowing that many of us are having difficulty in securing hangar space in which to store our Badland Aircraft, has anyone here built, modified, or converted a utility or boat trailer into a covered/enclosed trailer for their aircraft? I seem to recall seeing photos on one of the FB Ultralight groups of a trailer that someone had built, however I can not recall which group page it was.
What do you plan to do for storage and hauling?
Any photos would be appreciated!

Thanks,
~Barry
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Trailer Conversion/Storage for Badland Aircraft

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hi Barry. Good question. I am somewhat torn between building an enclosed trailer to put the plane in and free up some space in the garage (while losing a lot of space in the driveway), or building an open trailer, perhaps with a retractable tongue and just calling it a day.

While the enclosed trailer is a good idea, I can't help but wonder how well my plane would fare in the 115+ degree temps I see here in Los Angeles at times. That temp is likely to be a lot higher in the trailer. Also, an enclosed trailer here in LA looks to run around $18,000 or so, from what I've seen (versus the exact same trailer in Georgia for $8000).

My next thought was to convert a boat trailer, but I find the taper at the tongue end tends to be longer than I would like. I intend to pull the plane nose first, so I would need to build "outrigger" runners for the main gear.

It looks like I will continue to use my garage as a hangar and build a flatbed trailer, as light as possible, and only as wide as it needs to be. I'll try to spring it for a very light load, so as not to beat the plane to death on our crappy California highways.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Hey Barry, I've been looking into using my FEMA travel trailer which I purchased back in 2013. I gutted the entire inside and completely rebuilt it, cabinets and all. With the Badland I looked at gutting it again and rebuilding so the plane could be pulled in, then the remaining front could be made into a small living area. You know, going with the best of both worlds, a toy hauler/camping trailer. The trailer is 28' interior length, so plenty long enough. The only issue I found was that with the wings folded, the plane's wing tips would be within inches of the side walls if not touching the side walls. I'm still considering doing this rebuild, though it's tough to think about ripping out 3 years of work to put the plane in the trailer.

With all that said, my only suggestion is to make sure if you go enclosed that you've got the width for the folded wings. Once I get my kit and start building I'll be able to determine if there'll be a wing/wall contact problem or not. I also have concerns as Peer mentions of the heat of an enclosed trailer. I've always opened my travel trailer up during the summer and I run a fan in the window to keep air moving through it. If I don't, the metal box turns into an oven pretty quickly. I don't think there'd be much of an issue for the Oratex, but any regular plastics may degrade pretty quickly. I may end up doing the flat bed method with a storage box on the front. The box would contain of course aircraft parts but also carry camping gear so when going to Oshkosh, Sun-n-Fun, and other events. I have a shell on my Avalanche, so in case of storms I'll still have a dry place to sleep.

Todd
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Consider the wing width with one flaperon removed. Or maybe even both. It doesn't take that long to reinstall a flaperon. Mine is 9" shorter (width) with one aileron or flap removed. Just my opinion.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

A very good point about removing a flaperon. And a nine inch difference is no joke, since it seems that these ULs are JUST wider than the average enclosed car hauler.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Good point by both of you. I may just need to bite the bullet and dig into the trailer again for an airplane toy hauler, camping trailer. Considering that flying to Oshkosh and any other aviation events could be done, but would need someone to haul the trailer, might as well look at the renovation of my current trailer. I think I would store the plane in the hangar (oversized garage or barn), but for travel, it sure would be nice to have it inside a trailer and be able to live out of the trailer where ever I'm at.

Todd
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

For aircraft like the Badland, SR or similar, enclosed trailers are fantastic. I've been to several fly-ins and sometimes a storm (usually) comes from nowhere quick. Everybody else is scrambling to leave, find a hangar, etc. When you trailer it to a fly-in, ready to fly in 5 minutes and you have a moveable hangar, sleeping area, and if a bad storm arises, load up and stay dry at the same time. If strong winds arrive, hit the road. And you know you can get back home.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Well crud. You've convinced me. Once in Florida with a home, a nice big barn, and of course a Badland aircraft, I guess it'll be time to rip out the trailer and rebuild. I especially like the part of folding some wings, popping the winch on and pulling the plane into it's custom rolling garage. Plus, jumping in the front of the trailer, popping out the bed and watching the game in comfort while others learn to swim (specifically speaking of Oshkosh :lol: )

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Stop making me second guess my decision to have an open trailer! haha

I think the biggest hold-back for me is lack of storage. Real estate comes at a cost here in Los Angeles, and I am tapped out!
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Real Estate is pricy everywhere now. I have an open trailer also and been thinking about enclosing it. Anybody got any slick ideas that normal people don't think of? None of us are normal since we fool with aircraft.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

"None of us are normal"...very true!

I wonder if a framed canvas (Sunbrella) covering would be an option? It would need to be strapped pretty tight, I would imagine, but might suffice. Depending on your climate, it would also be a good way to allow some airflow and minimize the greenhouse effect.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I am in the middle of WVa. Deep in the mountains. We're so far back its now Christmas!
broughtonkicks

Post by broughtonkicks »

I've got a lead on an enclosed 8.5 x 20 ft. V-Nosed trailer for $7,500.
What are any of your thoughts on long-term storage (over winter, etc.) with the wings remaining folded?
I seem to recall reading somewhere that planes should be stored in the configuration in which the fly, i.e., wings extended (unfolded)...but that may have been for larger aircraft with larger winds, and those with fuel tanks in the wings.
I know that there is brace that holds the wings in place while they are folded. Is there any sort of engineering/mechanical concern (i.e., stress on folding mechanism/brackets, etc.) with keeping the wings folded for extended periods of time?

Thanks,
Barry (soon-to-be owner of F2 Speed RTF!)
E014BB
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I've had my Kitfox wings folded all winter and the SR folded all winter and no adverse effects. I do recommend you put the wing braces on while leaving it folded. Same for towing. Leaving it inside an enclosed trailer isn't a concern providing its dry.
broughtonkicks

Post by broughtonkicks »

Mountain Cat wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:33 pm I've had my Kitfox wings folded all winter and the SR folded all winter and no adverse effects. I do recommend you put the wing braces on while leaving it folded. Same for towing. Leaving it inside an enclosed trailer isn't a concern providing its dry.
Thanks! I appreciate the insight.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Wings weigh about 35lbs apiece so no major load on wing attachments or struts. A bigger concern is the tail wheel spring. It needs to have the weight off it when stored or towed. A block under the leaf spring bolt does the trick. The dang tail is heavy with the wings folded. I would guess near 100 lbs.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Excellent point about the tailwheel spring. It should be the same when towing - it should be elevated, and it's probably a good idea to have the plane level so the wing surfaces are parallel to the airflow.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Enclosed trailer wouldn't matter if wings level or not.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Was referring to towing open