Windscreen extension done.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Windscreen extension done.

Post by ksatter26 »

The 3/32" polycarbonate sheet that I got locally from ePlastics for my windscreen (to fit the curve of the bubble cowling) was only available at a reasonable price for a 4'x4' sheet. The length required is 53" so I extended the sheet at the rear by superglueing a 5" section to the rear. I then pop-riveted (32 rivets) in a 0.016" aluminum strip above and below the joint for strength. I'll start the re-installation process tomorrow ... pictures to follow.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Windscreen extension done.

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Looking forward to seeing pictures. I am also curious to see how the plane looks with the windscreen pushed forward. I am picturing a Fieseler Storch style, which would not be a bad thing!
ksatter26

Windscreen extension INSTALL Progress

Post by ksatter26 »

Here's the 5" extension to the length of the windscreen (at the rear). I tried just superglueing the but joint together bit it didn' seem strong enough so I added 1.25" strips of 0.016 Aluminum on both sides and riveted them in using 32 very short 3/32 cherry rivets from Aircraft Spruce (from another project). Good strength and went together pretty easily.

IMG_0965.JPG

Added the rubber u-channel to the windscreen side mounts and fitted the windscreen back in place. An awkward job with the polycarbobate flapping around, but actually easier than I imagined it would be working alone. (Grandson graduates HS in 10 days so I'll have some extra hands for a few days.) I still need to lift the corners of the u-channel and add light bead of superglue, but I think it looks good. The rubber channel material is rather expensive from Aircraft Spruce; you might try McMaster-Carr (Chicago) as a source. I have a local A/C Spruce office 60 miles away in Ft. Worth so I can save the outrageous shipping costs if I'm "out west" anyway.

IMG_0970.JPG

Note the fiberglass extension to the cowing "ears". The red-stuff is auto-body putty that comes in a tube and sands really nicely into a nice smooth surface. (I also have a tub of micro-balloons that I can mix with fiberglass resin to make a thinner mixture that I can use.

IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG

For a change of pace. I routed the fuselage end of the pitot line from the quick connect/disconnect fitting to the panel mounted airspeed instrument.

IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG

Much more cosmetic work around the cowling exhaust system and car cut-outs . Lots of fitting, filling, and sanding.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

It's looking really good Kurt. And it seems like you aren't having any trouble working with the fiberglass. The cowl is taking shape nicely!

the u-channel on the edges of the windscreen looks good as well. It really makes it pop.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Looks slick! Considering that Peer's CG is a little back from center, maybe this is something that Chris may want to add into the build - extending the engine mount forward slightly to shift the CG, as well as extending the cowl with the wings and slightly larger windscreen. I think it looks really slick and most likely will do that on my kit. I guess a lot of it depends on how the mounting of the F-23 will go and where the CG ends up.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Todd is correct - my CG is at the aft end of the range, or at least it was the last time I checked it. I've since added the cowl, so I'll need to check it again. I at least have some wiggle room to add weight to the nose if I need to.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:39 pm I've since added the cowl, so I'll need to check it again. I at least have some wiggle room to add weight to the nose if I need to.
That's the really nice thing about Badland ultralights. Those who claim they don't make weight most likely have no experience with them, so the statement is incorrect. When Peer put his on the scales, I was pleasantly pleased with just how much wiggle room he has with the weight.
ksatter26

Weight "Wiggle Room"

Post by ksatter26 »

Don't forget all the things that are "removable" for making the weight. Off the top of my head ...

(1) iPad Air
(2) Battery
(3) Seat Cussions
(4) Cowling
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Exactly! Minimum is all that's needed for weight. There are other toys that'll be removable on mine, counting as cargo weight.