Cowl about ready for paint

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Cowl about ready for paint

Post by ksatter26 »

Each time I remove the cowl for trimming, priming, and sanding; when I re-install I find another minor adjustment needs to be made. There are 12 points that have to align ... Eight 10-32 mounting screw holes and 4 rather large air-filter and exhaust "protuberances" ... not counting the center-line alignment.

With the "final" primer coat and 800 grit wet sanding, the cowl is nice and smooth. However the "final fitting" indicates that I need to slightly expand the lower exhaust outlet hole (lower starboard-side). This won't take much and as the pictures show, the cowl mount looks pretty good.

IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG

Still need a sample of the Orates 600 Sky Blue for Dupont Imron color matching. I heard from the Orates folks in Anchorage about the Oratex Paint. She says that they sell very little because of the restrictions on shipping ... hence the Imron.

Looking at how the beast will travel on my 16' (boat-converted-to flatbed) trailer. From scrap I fabricated a rear traveling bracket. It has hinges that will mount to near the rear of the flatbed. I'll add foam padding and will bungee the aft fuselage frame to the cross-member.

IMG_1007.JPG

I plan on wheel chocks and at the forward end, I can use trailer straps from the lower engine mount struts to the flatbed frame. 15 miles of good Texas Farm-Market roads to the 4,000' runways (for testing). I hope to eventually use my 700' grass strip ... still needs some work.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Cowl about ready for paint

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

It looks great Kurt. You did a nice job with it. Any chance of posting some pics of the trailer you built? I need ideas for mine.