Transport Traier Build

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Transport Traier Build

Post by ksatter26 »

As I've discussed in earlier posts, my original plan for picking up my kit in Truman was to take a 16' flatbed trailer from North Dallas to Truman, load up the $500 crate and drive it back. I found a couple of good deals (1) a cheappie, mid-week SWA flight to Minneapolis and 2 a nice deal on a 1-way, Budget , 20' box truck (Minneapolis to North Dallas). Running the numbers, the SWA/Budget logistics was pretty close to the 16' trailer option, so that's what I went with.

I still figured that the 16' trailer would be a good way to transport the beast to/from the local, long asphalt runways testing site (15 miles from my shop). So I searched the local Angie's List for suitable used boat trailers to convert. I found one for $300 about 40 miles north of Famrersville. I made the drive, did the inspection and figured if it made it the 40 miles back it was a good conversion project.

I 1st used my angle grinder to cut off two vertical L-angles at the sides just forward of the wheel wells. I then bolted a 2x4 lattice to the trailer L-angle frame, adding cross members to support the 5/8" plywood decking. I did not remove the manual winch as I thought it might be of some use for loading the A/C. I haven't tried that, but at only 254 lbs and a set of trailer ramps (my brother's) It should really be no problem.

Trailer01.jpg
trailer02.jpg
Trailer03.jpg
Trailer04.jpg
Trailer05.jpg
Trailer06.jpg

I have an aft support assembly that will be mounted too the deck via hinges. The A/C frame will be strapped (via bungie cords). The Wheels will be chocked and the forward frame will be secured to the bed via trailer straps around the engine mount struts. So far that's the plan

IMG_1007.JPG
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Transport Traier Build

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

That looks great. It will certainly be a good trailer for transporting to and from the test airfield. Just like how your plane is coming along, very nice. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Todd
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I also added a waterproof trailer-lights connector in the center of the end 2x4. I then fabricated a wire harness with trailer-lights that I can mount on the ends of the folded wing ... haven't as yet thought about how they might mount. I originally added this to put the lights on the top end of the 4'x4'x16' crate that Chris builds for shipping. Otherwise, unless I get really crazy and trailer the beast to Oshkosh, I don't have any big plans for trailering at night.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

ksatter26 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:03 pm I also added a waterproof trailer-lights connector in the center of the end 2x4. I then fabricated a wire harness with trailer-lights that I can mount on the ends of the folded wing ... haven't as yet thought about how they might mount. I originally added this to put the lights on the top end of the 4'x4'x16' crate that Chris builds for shipping. Otherwise, unless I get really crazy and trailer the beast to Oshkosh, I don't have any big plans for trailering at night.
Similar wishful plans – I'd like to take my plane once done to Oshkosh at least once. I'm considering more and more of ripping my travel trailer apart and rebuilding it into a very limited but usable travel trailer aircraft toy hauler. That'll be a lot of work, but I did it once. The trailer is an old FEMA 32' trailer I completely gutted, added tanks, homemade cabinets, the works. I suppose I can build fold out bunks, but the bathroom/kitchen and a small entertainment area up front, and the rest is for the plane. Still have to think that one through, but Oshkosh would be fun, especially having a squadron of Badland aircraft there!

Todd
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I lived in one of those for 4 months in the faculty section of the University of New Orleans following hurricane Katrins. Finished my dissertation and PhD ... December 2005. Made me sick from the formaldehyde glue.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

That's a nice looking set-up. I was considering a telescopic tongue when I build my trailer (since it will be stored outside, and I don't want to crowd the driveway to the point that I end up on my wife's bad side), but there doesn't seem to be a practical way to do this while still towing the plane facing forward. I'll have a considerably longer distance to tow than you do - about 100 miles.

I may still go with the boat trailer conversion option - we will see!
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Mine has been sitting outside for about 10 months now. I finished the 5/8" ply decking and 2x4 frames with about 3 coats of Thompson's Water Seal and other than changing color the deck looks good.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

I had written up a nice piece of the FEMA trailer, and then the board timed out, and I lost it all :(

Easy enough to say that yes the Formaldehyde issue was crazy. My trailer had long since out-gassed, plus I kept almost nothing from the original, gutting the entire trailer. Doing some basic measurements, it may be possible to fit the plane in if I remove both flapperon's. That's still going to be a lot of work, plus I do love the travel trailer. Maybe get a flatbed and then build an enclosed front on it for sleeping, cooking, etc. Keep the back open and that's where the plane would be carried. That's a ways down the road. I still need to finish working on my house, selling it, move to Florida, get a new home (hopefully large enough to have a grass strip), then build my plane, and get it into the air. But hey, what else am I going to do in my retired life?
ksatter26

Tornado watch last night

Post by ksatter26 »

No tornado but very strong north wind, rain, and pea-sized hail directly on my huge hangar door. Too much for the weather stripping on the bottom. The new fill and hydroseeding flooded onto the hangar floor. After a couple of hours of sweeping out and all doors open in the 90+ degree heat, no real damage, but no A/C work done.

Naturally my Wi-Fi and internet was down for more than 12 hours.

Welcome to North Texas.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Tornado watch last night

ksatter26 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:39 pm No tornado but very strong north wind, rain, and pea-sized hail directly on my huge hangar door. Too much for the weather stripping on the bottom. The new fill and hydroseeding flooded onto the hangar floor. After a couple of hours of sweeping out and all doors open in the 90+ degree heat, no real damage, but no A/C work done.

Naturally my Wi-Fi and internet was down for more than 12 hours.

Welcome to North Texas.
As is normal here in Texas, when the weatherman says there's a chance of rain he/she means somewhere in Texas, but really have no idea where. :o

Good deal on no real damage.