Cowl "Bumps" Paint Mask & 303 startup attempt

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Cowl "Bumps" Paint Mask & 303 startup attempt

Post by ksatter26 »

Still waiting on Oratex color samples (and actual Oratex order) from Chris. Cowl is definitely ready for polyurethane paint so I got to looking at the cowl "bumps" and thought that it would really look nice if the 10 "bumps" were painted in the contrasting Fokker Red of the leading edges, elevator and horizontal stab.

I took some measurements and have a template that I can print on sticky-back printer paper to mask the cowl for painting the bumps.

CowlBumps.jpg

My brother and I tried starting the Polini and found I had no spark. Good compression, fuel flow, battery power, and the starter working fine. Thanks to Piers in CA, we found that I had connected the killl-switch ground wire to the negative ground rather than to a kill switch, so the plug was never getting any energy. I'll install the SPST grounding (kill) switch today and give the startup another shot.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Cowl "Bumps" Paint Mask & 303 startup attempt

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I like the idea of painting the bumps a different color. If you like the bumps, you may as well double down on them! :)

Keep me posted as to how the engine start works out. I was hoping for the phone call last night stating that you go tit running, but hopefully I'll get that call soon!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Cowl "Bumps" Paint Mask & 303 startup attempt

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

I've seen several how have painted the bumps and I agree, accenting those does make the plane "pop" and look really good. Also looking forward to hearing about the first engine start and run up.

Todd