New to forum

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Glennlawson

New to forum

Post by Glennlawson »

Good morning everyone,I’m looking into part 103 as a option for some fun and affordable flying. Have a private pilot’s license but cost and availability in my area to rent is pretty much out of the question.after a bunch of looking around I decided on the badlands line. I live in upstate New York close to the Vermont and Canada border.tundra tires a must. Not sure on the poloni 303 more thinking of a 1/2 vw
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: New to forum

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Glennlawson wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:05 am Good morning everyone,I’m looking into part 103 as a option for some fun and affordable flying. Have a private pilot’s license but cost and availability in my area to rent is pretty much out of the question.after a bunch of looking around I decided on the badlands line. I live in upstate New York close to the Vermont and Canada border.tundra tires a must. Not sure on the poloni 303 more thinking of a 1/2 vw
Welcome Glenn to the Badland 103 Squadron and your choice on a Badland F series UL. I don't believe for a moment that you'll be disappointed in the choice. I think all of us agree on the affordability that's available with Part 103 flying. Plus for those of us up in age, the medicals become more and more difficult to get through. One of our members described the Badland UL's in what I believe is a perfect way - "the Badland Aircraft is not an ultralight trying to be an airplane, it is an airplane that happens to meet the Part 103 criteria". (Barry - AKA: broughtonkicks). Barry has one of the most beautiful Badland F3's I've seen yet. viewtopic.php?t=262 Another outstanding Badland is the F2 from Lane (AKA: KSXKflight5) search.php?author_id=171&sr=posts Lane has a custom paint job and has written an outstanding flight review. Check the link above and scan for F2 Flight Review. You may wish to ask both of them how they like the Polini 303. You also may wish to talk to another member about his 4 stroke he's designed and built that's in final testing. His name is Scott (AKA: kidkhaos). The engine is 40hp and weighs in at the mid to upper 70lbs area. That's not much less power than was available on GA aircraft built in the 40's and 50's that weighed a lot more than a Badland.

Welcome again, and please ask questions, we're here to help as much as we can.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hi Glenn. Good morning and welcome to the forum! The Badland is an excellent choice if cost and storage space is at a premium for you. I store mine in a two car garage along with a (small) car. It would easily fit into a single space.

The half VW may put you over the legal UL weight, but with a PPL you could always register it if need be.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

A very timely mention of the new four stroke Scott is developing. I just saw this on YT.

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:55 am A very timely mention of the new four stroke Scott is developing. I just saw this on YT.

Exhaust sounds a little short (slight popping), but it certainly doesn't sound like a chain saw! :lol:

I'm looking forward to Scott letting us know what the fuel burn is and seeing what the final TBO is. It's only 10hp less than the F-23, but I bounce back and forth between HP and fuel burn as to which is more important. I'm leaning towards Scott's engine.

Thanks for posting the video.

Todd
Glennlawson

Post by Glennlawson »

Still much research and planning to do.would like to stay in the weight limit would like to hear more about the reliability of the polini 303 like that it’s water cooled and duel ignition
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Dual ignition is definitely a plus. I don't recall if Scott said he was adding a second ignition system to the four stroke, but it would be pretty nice to have.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:24 pm Dual ignition is definitely a plus. I don't recall if Scott said he was adding a second ignition system to the four stroke, but it would be pretty nice to have.
Not only is it a nice safety addition, but typically a few more HP is also a result of the second spark plug - can't be that!