Flaperon Cable Routing

This Forum is specific to the Badland Aircraft F1 through F5 series of ultralights. Unquestionably the most awesome ultralight available. The F1 through F5 are an advanced design of the Kitfox Lite, the ultralight version of the incredible and very popular Kitfox STOL experimental. If you want information about the ultimate in ultralight, this is the forum for you.

Don't forget to check out Tech Tips & Shared Knowledge sub-forum below.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Flaperon Cable Routing

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

There have been some questions regarding the routing of the flaperon cables in a way that most limits friction and makes stick pressures as light as possible. As I recall, the first Badland may have routed the cable through the butt rib as close to the rear spar as possible. In the interest of making the widest radius curve I could, I opted to move the cable through the spar as far toward the leading edge of the wing as was feasible.
Flaperon_Cable_Butt_Rib.jpg

One butt rib had a feed-through already available, thanks to the graphics cut into the rib. I had to drill the other side. The cables require a bit of feeding into the wings when deploying them, but very little feeding, and it's easily manageable by one person
Flaperon_Cable_And_ASI_tube.jpg
Some creativity was required with feeding the cables under the seat. Space is limited, and the cables must go under the rear seat base crossbar, for reasons that become obvious when you fit the seat. I wove the cables over the bar just behind the seat, so they wouldn't interfere with the elevator controls.

Note: Always be aware of any installations that may interfere with pushrods, cables, etc. I've had to reroute a few things after they were installed simply because their proximity to any of the controls made me uncomfortable.
Flaperon_Cable_Under_Tank.jpg
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Flaperon Cable Routing

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Thanks for posting the detail on this. The routing looks great and any time you can make a radius larger is a good thing. Larger radius, less friction, smoother control. Really like this.